X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like a good deal for somebody

appears to be a restored 52 for low bucks
    https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ct...290735755.html

In four poor photos I see some things that would not qualify it as restored, but the price does look right.
    Wish there were better photos and more of them.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

One line just not offer the buyer any information. Running status, interior, brakes, glass, and of course undercarraige condition. Dark paint can hide a multitude of problems that are not seen close up.

I am a 52 and would consider the freight to bring it home at that price, if there was much more information. Learning my lesson still with the 56.

Bob Miles

Comment

I don't know about restored, it looks original to me. I looks very much like the one I found in the garage of an old house scheduled to be razed, albeit a dented roof, and also being a Landcruiser. The family wanted it saved and was willing to give it away. I tried advertising on these pages, but after three weeks it was towed. A local friend finally put his hand up, but was two days too late.

Comment

Trying to squint through the smeary, dark photos... It looks like there's a car that's worth taking the time to roll out into the light and wiping the the pocket lint off the camera lens before taking pictures. And even spending a few extra minutes to compose something that offers more than the fact that it's a car and it has doors.
          Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Most consider ads like this terrible. I always loved them. While others were picking the ad apart, I was on the phone with the seller. Not everyone is an expert at photography, writing and marketing.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              One line just not offer the buyer any information. Running status, interior, brakes, glass, and of course undercarraige condition. Dark paint can hide a multitude of problems that are not seen close up.

I am a 52 and would consider the freight to bring it home at that price, if there was much more information. Learning my lesson still with the 56.

Bob Miles
              More info is gathered by reading between the lines of the photos. No dirt/dust even though a missing window in the building with brick and dirt floors. No flat tires, missing or pitted chrome, damaged body panels, broken headlights or taillights, but with a special license plate that suggests it was driven fairly recently (probably to car shows or related events). Considering the minimal text, it's doubtful that the "real" owner wrote it, but more likely was written by a relative of the possibly deceased.

It's 2100 miles away from you and all on Interstates. Spend for a refundable deposit and a one-way flight. You might just get a chance to have a great adventure on the road trip back home. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                Most consider ads like this terrible. I always loved them. While others were picking the ad apart, I was on the phone with the seller. Not everyone is an expert at photography, writing and marketing.
                SHUSH!!!!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Just called, already sold.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Just called, already sold.
                    Good. I will still be on a quest for a 52, but someone saved me the effort in this case. I bought a NOS Commander hood piece from Russ Ware at the Tacoma International Meet. Russ when I see him still brings up the fact that I bought something for a car I don't own yet.

Bob Miles

Comment

Right on Dick... I've come home with quite a few gems with ads like this. One of the best was the 62 Lark Convertible. Not one speck of rust on that car. Got it really cheap, and bought the car never having seen it before I got there.
                      sals54

Comment

Quite true, I bought a ‘57 President Classic sight unseen off Facebook shortly after Thanksgiving. Owner said it had an electrical fire, needed a new wiring harness and did not run. While others were commenting back and forth I was on the phone with him.

I told him I would give him his asking price and called my next door neighbor who was visiting his parents 2 hours from the car. Had my neighbor’s dad front the money and my neighbor picked it up for me.

Turns out it was a fully loaded California car that has loads of spare parts and is probably worth 4 times what I paid for it. 2 hours after it arrived and one new wire and a battery cable later I drove it off the trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5B24058B-02C0-4041-9582-69DBA0A31204.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	1886073
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	FE747ECF-70BF-4C47-B0DC-EEB88A40CD1B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	1886074
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	0E971017-EF71-46A9-868F-F74C966B98C7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	232.9 KB ID:	1886076
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X