1949 / 1950 Studebaker Champion Lark? photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 / 1950 Studebaker Champion Lark? photos

I purchased some photos recently, that have white out, magic marker, and ad placement instructions on them. They're dated 1949 and 1950 on the back, and include an original news clipping about the debut of the new "Spinner" model. I have no idea why it says Lark and not Champion with the columns size placement of the ad.

Obviously someone setting up a newspaper story did not know his/her Studebakers. The cars shown are 1950 models. The first Lark was a 1959 model. Yes, some people did attach little propellers to the bullet nose, hence "spinners". Functional? -- not a chance, except as decoration.
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
      Obviously someone setting up a newspaper story did not know his/her Studebakers. The cars shown are 1950 models. The first Lark was a 1959 model. Yes, some people did attach little propellers to the bullet nose, hence "spinners". Functional? -- not a chance, except as decoration.
      I thought the same thing, but the photo with the girl is dated August 1949, and one can see the bottom of that same photo in the news clipping from 1950.
      The 3 columns at the bottom must have been written when the ad was placed in 1950, but why would "Lark" also be on there 9 years before that model came out?
      Was Lark maybe the prototype name used before Champion was ultimately chosen?

Comment

If these were for ad placements in newspapers or magazines, I suspect the typesetters name was Lark.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Omaha View Post

I thought the same thing, but the photo with the girl is dated August 1949, and one can see the bottom of that same photo in the news clipping from 1950.
          The 3 columns at the bottom must have been written when the ad was placed in 1950, but why would "Lark" also be on there 9 years before that model came out?
          Was Lark maybe the prototype name used before Champion was ultimately chosen?
          I hope that you realize that 1950 models came out in the 1949 calendar year. The 1950s pictured are early 1950 models, perhaps even prototypes from mid-1949.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The ads from 1949/1950 were re-used with some story published after the Larks came out. Note that the word "Lark" is only hand-written on the pictures. Also, on the picture of the convertible, "Lark" is written with the same pen as the cropping marks.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

I hope that you realize that 1950 models came out in the 1949 calendar year. The 1950s pictured are early 1950 models, perhaps even prototypes from mid-1949.
              Yes, I realize that and I am lucky to own an early 50 model.

Comment

The car in the pictures is a Commander, not a Champion.
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Working...
                X