The Last Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Studebaker

As I sat eating breakfast at 8:11 this morning I sadly recollected the exact time 55 years ago the last Studebaker was coming off the line in Hamilton. It is also St. Patricks Day and many of our workers then were Irish,

Stu Chapman

Kind of sad! The Studebaker story has always been interesting and at the same time is hard to comprehend the final chapter of such a prominent company in the auto industry. I'm grateful for the Studebaker enthusiasts that keep thee memories alive. A thanks to you Stu!

Robert
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Thanks for posting this.
      I remember shopping for a new 1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, "only" 55 years ago.
      I have known Stu for most of that time.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you, Stu, for all that you have done to keep the memories and the history of Studebaker alive. Your great service to the Studebaker Drivers Club Inc. has helped the rest of us do a bit of the same.

Bill
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
          The Studebaker story has always been interesting and at the same time is hard to comprehend the final chapter of such a prominent company in the auto industry. I'm grateful for the Studebaker enthusiasts that keep thee memories alive. A thanks to you Stu!

Robert
          I came to Studebakers because they were goofy oddballs in the collector car world, but I fell in love with them because of the company story. In the end, it seems like a lack of management vision, resulting in multiple bad decisions, eventually put corporate in a position where they had no choice but to move out of automotive production.

At least, the story and the legacy live on.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The last Studebaker off the line was green. Was it just a coincidence that it was St. Patrick's Day?

Comment

Originally posted by steve.maclean2009 View Post
              The last Studebaker off the line was green. Was it just a coincidence that it was St. Patrick's Day?
              It was Timberline Turquoise, not any of the true greens offered that year.

And according to Stu as per post #42 here---->
              https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....udebaker/page3 nothing special was staged for it.

The second last Studebaker made the day previous actually was Olive Green metallic:
              https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....hlight=harrahs

Craig

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BCDE40C0-BC54-4F9A-94D0-D16B2EEB928C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	1885775

Comment

The original production documents I have show Plum was initially considered. The car was carefully planned prior to March 17.
                  Last edited by 64V19816; 03-18-2021, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Can somebody go to the Museum today, hook the battery up, and let the old Gal give a few toots! Get that on video and post it! We All Need a Good Smile!

Comment

St. Pat's Day. Kelly green would'ha been perfect.

Comment

I was first attracted to Studebaker because it was an independent car company with great styling. I stayed because it was an independent car company with great styling. Thank you Stu Chapman for your many contributions. I acquired my 53 Commander Coupe in 1977. It will go to my younger son someday (he alreay owns a 51 2R11). In the meantime, I will continue to restore/preserve it as I continue to drive it. God only knows the true mileage, but I love it. As the Smithsonian article said years ago, we fix them because we cannot fix bigger things. We restore them because we cannot restore the world the cars came from.
                        Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X