Front Air Deflector from Classic Enterprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Air Deflector from Classic Enterprises

It looks like I will need a front air deflector for my '55 Starlight Coupe. Has anyone used Classic Enterprises' fiberglass air deflector?
    Charlie D.

Please note!! I found mine in the pole barn. It is in decent shape. I appreciate the comments and offers. Champ51, thank you for the kind words. I was given a '55 Commander Coupe a few months ago. I have not said anything on the forum about it but I think I will submit an article about how I came to own it.
    Charlie D.
    Last edited by Charlie D; 03-21-2021, 07:47 PM. Reason: I found my lower valance for the Coupe

I used one on my 61 Hawk. It fit nicely. I don't remember having to do any substantial modifications. I may have trimmed a few things here and there and just forgot about it. Seems like I did have to over size the hood latch plate mounting hole a little to get it aligned.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, there were differences in some of the LAD's. If I'm right is there more then one iteration? Isn't the 55's version different then all the others?

Comment

I bought an air deflector from a Stude friend with intent to fit my 54 Champion sedan and it did not fit, however it may be for a 55 could you perhaps shed some light on this deflector as to what year it maybe?

Comment

Note: coupes and sedans are different.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
            I bought an air deflector from a Stude friend with intent to fit my 54 Champion sedan and it did not fit, however it may be for a 55 could you perhaps shed some light on this deflector as to what year it maybe?
            I believe 'twould fit '53 through '61 C/K models, but '56 through '61 requires additional bracketry for the hood latch.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That explains why it doesn't fit my sedan, it is probably from a C/H

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                I believe 'twould fit '53 through '61 C/K models, but '56 through '61 requires additional bracketry for the hood latch.
                I have one off a 54 c/k. I was researching before listing and noticed part number changed in 55. I know the grill support bracket is different so maybe it’s attachment hole changed thus a different part number??? I always thought as you did and thought they were the same except for the addition of the hood catch brackets which could be bought separately
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The uniqueness of the 55 C/K version jibbs with what I seem to remember, but I'm old so..... I believe that the photos on #4 are of a 55 C/K, LAD. I'm basing my statement on the fact that there is a hole in the center of the piece. 55's have a support arm from the grill to the LAD. I don't remember a similar attachment used on a 53/54. I have always used that as a quick reference, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There have to be other difference, but I'm a bit foggy on this one. I do believe that it has to do with a shorter attachment arms. LAD for 55's a pretty hard to find in restorable condition if you find one it has some real value.

As an aside have you ever seen a 55 side grill piece and wondered if it fit a C/K or a sedan. My quick reference is the hole in the lowest, out board, area of the piece. C/K's have it sedans do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    I believe that the photos on #4 are of a 55 C/K, LAD. I'm basing my statement on the fact that there is a hole in the center of the piece. 55's have a support arm from the grill to the LAD. I don't remember a similar attachment used on a 53/54.
                    This on my '53 coupe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3201344.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1886202

Name:	P3201342.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1886203

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. I was wrong 53-54 is supported in the center. So are all the 53-61 LAD's the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
                        It looks like I will need a front air deflector for my '55 Starlight Coupe. Has anyone used Classic Enterprises' fiberglass air deflector?
                        Charlie D.

I have searched the archives of this forum and cannot find any prior mention of your ownership of a '55 Starlight Coupe. Will those of us who think you create the most informative postings ever get to see said automobile?

Comment

When I got my 53 Coupe, I think the only thing left of the air duct were a few screws in the bottom of the fender. After buying three Hawks I had two LAD's, I used the "worst"one to practice welding the "hurts" up figuring I could sell the nicer one much easier. I had to modify the bracketry and it fits fine.

If there is interest mine is listed in the "for sale area" or contact me.

Comment

I found the lower valance for my Coupe a couple of days ago. Thank you all for your feedback and offer. I appreciate your kind words Champ51. I do like to include pictures with most of my posts. Occasionally they can be worth a thousand words. It was very astute to pick up on my needing something for a car other than my '55 President State Sedan. I have not posted anything about it on the forum. I did a write-up for the Newsletter I edit and I think I will post it on the forum. It was quite the surprise when my Optometrist's family wanted to give me her dad's Studebaker. He had owned it for 53 years.

Since there have been some pictures included in this thread I have included three of the valance that came with the car.
                            Charlie D.

Name:	100_5578.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1886430

Name:	100_5580.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1886431