Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Thunderbird vs Buick Riviera vs Studebaker Avanti

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    The Challenger Hellcat does provide a bit more power and chassis agility to handle all that heft. Due to the march of progress, science and engineering, most of today’s soccer mom SUV’s can run rings around any of the ‘60s antiques being discussed, and it appears that the electrics are well on the course of rendering fossil fuel vehicles as commercially obsolete as coal fired steam engines.
    Yet we continue to desire, discuss and play with these obsolete old vehicles, some for nostalgia, some or profit, peacefully socializing over a common interest, being a far less controversial subject matter than any exchanges of opinions on guns, politics or religion.
    The Studebaker hobby has served me well both as an escape and refuge from far weightier matters of life, and has been effective as a means of turning persons whom would otherwise have been my adversaries into lifelong friends.

    Comment


    • #47
      Jessie,

      Thanks for clarifying your your focus. I'm pleased to see how much we agree on, concerning the hobby. I have collected because of a particular model speaks to me, but there is so much more that goes into an equation, before I make a purchase. I should put purchase in the past tense, since I'm no longer a player in the market. Where we have a difference in philosophy, might be in what gets us excited. For me condition, originality and history have come to mean more then a model desirability. As an old collector in retirement I'm pleased that I have been able to make peace with my inner demons. Today I can get just as excited over someone else's find, without a twinge of avarice. I just count my blessings and enjoy.

      Bill

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
        The other thing I would say is that the style of the Riviera from back then has worn well and grown on me.
        1963 Riviera is one of if not the most sexual car of the era....and yes I know all about Tom Kellogg's comments about the atmosphere the Avanti was designed in.:-)

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
          The Challenger Hellcat does provide a bit more power and chassis agility to handle all that heft. Due to the march of progress, science and engineering, most of today’s soccer mom SUV’s can run rings around any of the ‘60s antiques being discussed, and it appears that the electrics are well on the course of rendering fossil fuel vehicles as commercially obsolete as coal fired steam engines.
          Yet we continue to desire, discuss and play with these obsolete old vehicles, some for nostalgia, some or profit, peacefully socializing over a common interest, being a far less controversial subject matter than any exchanges of opinions on guns, politics or religion.
          The Studebaker hobby has served me well both as an escape and refuge from far weightier matters of life, and has been effective as a means of turning persons whom would otherwise have been my adversaries into lifelong friends.
          LOL you know what slays me............the braggadocio some men engage in...what in the world is someone going to do with 700 HP anywhere except a track?...reminds me of ...".Yea Vinny, my tool is X# of inches........"total immaturity"...IMHO:-)

          Comment


          • #50
            I will never give up my TEL infused fuel Avanti............in fact you could offer me a brand new Tesla in trade for the Avanti.......and it would be NAH........................

            Comment


            • #51
              Fascinating stuff. As a marketing professional, I immediately picked up on the Ford copywriters' positioning - Riviera's frameless side glass, a big innovation and a hit with buyers, is contrasted with the T-Bird's "sturdy stainless steel frames", for instance, implying that GM's tempered glass wouldn't hold up to repeated opening and closing. It's always interesting to hear sales comparisons like this because you can immediately spot the weak points - those "If you can't fix it, feature it!" moments

              Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #52
                I guess Ford had some worries as sales dropped from 78K in 1962, to 63K in 1963. Still far above the the Riv's 40K. What shouldn't be ignored is what was happening over at Pontiac with the Bonneville the sales of which had moved up to 102K in 1962 and 103K in 1963. While not as expensive nor as exclusive I think it must be obvious that Pontiac was cutting into the personal luxury field in a very big way. As a young college student I found the Bonneville to be much more in line with the new Baby Boomers, who were just becoming players in this market. To be honest the whole personal luxury market was moving down market, while sales in every segment of the market were burgeoning. It was a good time for car manufacturers unless your company name began with an "S."

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  I guess Ford had some worries as sales dropped from 78K in 1962, to 63K in 1963. Still far above the the Riv's 40K. What shouldn't be ignored is what was happening over at Pontiac with the Bonneville the sales of which had moved up to 102K in 1962 and 103K in 1963. While not as expensive nor as exclusive I think it must be obvious that Pontiac was cutting into the personal luxury field in a very big way. As a young college student I found the Bonneville to be much more in line with the new Baby Boomers, who were just becoming players in this market. To be honest the whole personal luxury market was moving down market, while sales in every segment of the market were burgeoning. It was a good time for car manufacturers unless your company name began with an "S."
                  Other than the Bonneville, I saw the Gran Prix as Pontiac's competition for the others being discussed. I did not own a Gran Prix, but at that time I did own a 1962 Catalina hardtop with the Ventura interior.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

                  SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Substitute Grand Prix for Bonneville and all the Pontiacs for that matter. Regardless these full sized cars were setting the tone for the popularity of the personal luxury market, for the next two decades.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      My second choice to Studebaker ownership was and has since '61 has been the '61 Pontiac Ventura 2 door 'bubble tops', then the array of those years of classy powerful Pontiacs of the early '60s.
                      I worked for Oldsmobile for 30 years, but Pontiac ruled. Owned 5 Pontiacs, but never that coveted '61.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        If there is anyone on here looking for a nice 63 Buick Riv. a friend of mine has his original 63 going up for auction at Mecum Indy. Dark blue and a nice car. Also selling a 50 cream Pontiac Convert and a black 58 Ranchero custom that was converted to look like an Edsel with all late model drive train. Fi 302 with AOD, Ac ,Power disc brakes, Power steering. If I had the money to spend this one would follow me home. I just drove it over for him for mecum pickup and what an awesome running driving car. It was built to drive and you could drive it anywhere.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                          My second choice to Studebaker ownership was and has since '61 has been the '61 Pontiac Ventura 2 door 'bubble tops', then the array of those years of classy powerful Pontiacs of the early '60s.
                          I worked for Oldsmobile for 30 years, but Pontiac ruled. Owned 5 Pontiacs, but never that coveted '61.
                          It's been my favorite for as long as I car remember.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X