No announcement yet.

Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well good luck. Sounds like a classic case of the 5 P’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
      A dollar a mile in an open carrier has been the standard for decades. That maybe the reason that an individual with a pickup can't make out hauling someone else's ride across country. The brokers using networking, with bottom line being the motivation, has put most of the part time hauler on the shelf. What the cut rate carriers failed to dismantle, an ageing driver population, falling vintage car values and pandemic, seemed to have all but destroyed.

I used to have a list of several well vetted drivers willing to make a trip in a reasonable time frame. These were people that I knew, some of whom I considered to be friends. If they couldn't do it themselves they always seemed to know someone who would be willing to make the trip. Those days are long gone!
      There are still guys like myself willing to do dedicated hauling- 'dedicated' meaning the truck and trailer goes out exclusively for one vehicle to the pickup point, to the destination, and deadhead back home. Of course, that costs a lot more to do than the commercial trucker who has a broker helping them combine trips with a multi-car trailer. I find that there are still people that are willing to pay that premium for customized service. The problem is justifying it for a cheap car.

Of note is how Mecum Auctions does it. For years the 'official' transporter of Mecum Auctions was Reliable Transport, with their fleet of enclosed multi-car trailers. They had a booth at every auction where buyers could arrange shipping on the spot. A couple years ago, Mecum decided to go into the transport business themselves. They bought a huge fleet of brand new tractors and enclosed trailers. Today, both Reliable and Mecum offer shipping services with both having booths at every sale. I did look at it, and their cost is about $2.00- $2.50/mile... but you're paying a premium for an extremely simple process, To me, that speaks to the complexity of the shipping issue.

I think that COVID has been a huge benefit to the way Mecum does it: one can buy online, and easily arrange shipping, all in one call. In person, it's more complete- You can find and examine a car, go to the financing booth and get financing, bid and buy, walk to a booth and get it insured on the spot, and walk to the next booth and set up shipping. Their motto is "From the Auction Floor to Your Front Door". It doesn't get easier, And their sales percentages seem to show it's an excellent system.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Andrews;n1883009]

There are still guys like myself willing to do dedicated hauling- 'dedicated' meaning the truck and trailer goes out exclusively for one vehicle to the pickup point, to the destination, and deadhead back home. Of course, that costs a lot more to do than the commercial trucker who has a broker helping them combine trips with a multi-car trailer. I find that there are still people that are willing to pay that premium for customized service. The problem is justifying it for a cheap car.

Bob,

Obviously there is one, you. I stick by my statement that people willing to do the dirty work are a dyeing breed. More power to you for hanging in there. There also may be a true continental divide involved in the availability of the service. Population density, travel distance required, and mountainous terrain is often enough to trump shipping the best western car available.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

You haven’t said what the car or condition is. Or what you’re willing to pay. If you are willing to pay a premium I can get it taken care of for you with no hassle. If I can help, message me, and I will.
          Hey can you send me a PM? I tried sending you one but it said you had reached your limit. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by psychokura View Post

Hey can you send me a PM? I tried sending you one but it said you had reached your limit. Thanks
            I have tried everything I know to fix my PMs, emptied out everything, nothing works. That's just how it is with this forum. You can message me through Facebook at Bob Andrews | Facebook
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

I have tried everything I know to fix my PMs, emptied out everything, nothing works. That's just how it is with this forum. You can message me through Facebook at Bob Andrews | Facebook
              Contact the "Chief Cat Herder".
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Contact the "Chief Cat Herder".
                It seems like it's one thing after another. He's got enough to do, and it's not a big deal to me.
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

You might check the AACA forum which has a transportation tab. There are several direct haulers on there and you may find someone who is operating in your area of need or may be dead heading from a nearby delivery. This may be a long shot but the seller may know someone or be willing to deliver it for a price. A friend of mine sold an expensive car to a guy halfway across the country and offered to deliver it for a fee. We made an adventure out of it and the new owner jumped on it even though it was probably more expensive than a contract hauler. In any case it all cost money.

Comment

I moved my 63 GT Hawk from NJ to Ft Lauderdale Fl using Jerry with VIP transport, closed carrier, owner operator, excellent service, call him 704 622 7182. Others have used him moving their Studebakers and were very happy too

Comment

Thanks for all the POCs and advice, I'm taking notes for the future. In the meantime, I filed a BBB complaint with the first broker and they removed my listing. In case anyone was curious, the second broker (the ones who explained the ridiculously obsolete industry to me up front) managed to find me an enclosed carrier before I took any further steps. It was $1650 from the middle of nowhere SD to the middle of nowhere LA. Not great, but I'll live with it. And I've got my truck. It's got a couple chips and scratches, a little bit of rust, but it starts right up, sounds great, looks cool, and I'm happy to have it. My very first Studebaker - 1951 2R11, also featured on page 49 of the latest copy of Turning Wheels, I just found out.

Comment

I have bought cars, trucks, tractors and track loaders from all across America and parts of Canada. I was lucky that a friend of mine owned a trucking company based out of Richmond and did much of the hauling for me. As long as there was a loading dock or rollback on the other end I was good to go. I can tell you that putting a 2 ton Studebaker inside a 102” van is a tight fit but can be done.

I have also used the hauling forum on Yesterday’s Tractors to move a bunch of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by psychokura View Post
                          It was $1650 from the middle of nowhere SD to the middle of nowhere LA. Not great, but I'll live with it.
                          That’s about $1.22 per loaded mile, not a bad price at all for enclosed transport. I’m guessing the hauler must be based fairly close to either the pickup or drop off point.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

$150 of that was the broker fee, so the driver only got about $1.11. Now that I'm looking at the math I don't feel so bad about the price!

Comment

Working...
                            X