Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transportation

Not sure how Studebaker specific this is, so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place. I recently bought my first Studebaker (that's where the connection ends...), but it's several states away and I'm having a terrible time getting it transported. I did a Google search and called a couple companies but have learned that apparently all most of these places do is post something like an ad for drivers to respond to if they are in the area. Neither the location of my vehicle, nor myself are in very well traveled areas so it's taking forever to find a driver. Can anyone recommend any other options? I've spoken to Complete Auto Transport and Easy Auto Ship LLC so far, but like I said, they pretty much just offer the same middle-man type service.

I know of a transport company here on Puget Sound that makes regular runs to and from Florida. They are open to detours during their hauls if the detour isn't too long.

I see you are in Louisiana. I don't know if that's too far off their beaten path but I can give them a call for you if you'd like (Once I find the danged invoice, that is.) and ask them if they'd be open to that.

Where is the car? Does it run and drive and can be driven up onto the rig or will they need to spend a bunch of time winching it up?
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum.
      As you are discovering, most that advertise as a car transporting company are simply brokers.
      We used to have a lady that was good at transporting Studebakers, but she is retired. I forget who she recommended.
      Is the car running or not? That makes a big difference in cost and companies that will take the job on.
      As you found out, if you are off the beaten path (Interstate highways) it reduces the number interested and raises the cost.
      I have had many cars, some Studebakers, transported to and from various parts of the country.
      Post your from and to locations, perhaps there is someone here interested in the transport.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It does run and can be driven on and off the rig. It's currently in Rapid City, SD and I need to get it to Fort Polk, LA

Comment

Coincidentally, this has been a bit of a 'warm' topic here in the last couple days As you are finding out, it is a huge hassle. I buy and sell collector cars, and recently wrote extensively about this on my Facebook page. It's bad enough that I now own my own trucks and trailers.

A couple weeks ago I clicked a link on an online auction to see what would happen I was immediately set upon by no less than fifteen brokers, all trying to lock me in and get a deposit... all before I had bought anything... and continues today. I just got this e-mal from one of them:
          Although this correspondence may be a bit lengthy, please take a moment to read it in full. It will empower you with extensive knowledge and save you a lot of stress.

"Just to clarify couple of details

1. All of the quotes you are getting, including my own, are from brokers.

2. Brokers do not own the trucks; we locate them for you according to your route, schedule, and budget.

3. Since Drivers/Carriers do not have the time nor the manpower to call, follow up & email actual customers/shippers, Brokers take care of the overhead and specific details.

4. Every quote includes a broker and carrier fee. Most broker fees are a fixed rate and vary according to each company.

5. Every broker and carrier uses the same National Dispatching Board. Brokers will post the vehicle and carrier uses the board to book space on their truck.

6. The Auto shipping industry is an open market bidding system, much like a bidding system (eBay). The vehicle with the highest priced carrier pay on the board gets priority, leaving the vehicle with lower rates behind.

To learn how we determine your quote please visit our Auto Transport Guide.

We feel it's important for you to know how we determined this quote. Quotes are based on what the market demands for cars to be moved at a given time. Each quote is compared with the current rates on the National Load Board before being sent to our customers and will be reviewed periodically through the process.

Other companies might offer you a lower price to obtain your business. This method is ineffective because if the car does not pay the correct amount of money, it will run the probability of not getting loaded or transported on time.

You will not get this information from our competitors. Truck drivers always take the loads that pay the most first, leaving the loads that are mispriced to be moved last or not at all.

We try very hard to avoid this with our customers by quoting a fair but realistic quote up front.
          -- HOW TO COMPARE BROKERS --

Customers that have shipped a vehicle in the past will leave feedback about their shipping experience. Please take a moment to see what our past clients have said about us:

For reference, here are some popular sites you can read our reviews.

Transport Reviews

Google Reviews

Facebook Reviews
          Better Business Bureau

To recap basic criteria; PLEASE follow TWO 2 steps for a stress free move.

1. Do not pay an upfront deposit without a conmfired carrier.

2. Reference everyone with a check on their BBB Rating and Reviews on Multiple Sites.

When you are free, please contact me so I can give you a better explanation of the industry.

If you have time, give me 7 days and I can get you the best price and with a reputable 5 star carrier. If you need pickup ASAP we can do that too!
          -- HOW BROKERS locate Carriers for their clients --

I would also like explain a bit about how individuals go about shipping a vehicle. Every quote that you are receiving from your request on the internet are coming from brokers, like myself. Brokers do not have any trucks. These dollar amounts you are receiving, be it by phone or email are all estimates, and not at all a firm price. In order to find a carrier for you, there is only one place for brokers to go, Central Dispatch (National Dispatch Board for Auto Transport).

Any company you choose to do business with will post your vehicle to The National Dispatch Board, and on the other end is 5,000 drivers that are seeing what vehicles are available on their route, and are shipping whichever vehicles are offering the most money.

How quickly can Mercury locate a reputable carrier to ship your 1966 OLDSMOBILE STARFIRE? Check out our FAQ Page.

Since every broker is accessing all the same carriers to ship your vehicle. Choosing the right broker is vital to getting a repuatible carrier for the lowest price possible. Not all brokers are created equal in this talent. As such, I highly recommend working with a broker you feel is reputable, and one that you can trust.

My function is to find the most reputable driver, that will accept the lowest price possible. My company does an intense background check into each reputable carrier that has made an offer. We will check their ratings, references, and in addition, we verify a certified copy of their insurance certificate, directly from the government agency that it is on file with, just to ensure that everything is in proper order.

I will also see if any past clients have lodged any complaints against the carrier. There are no contracts to be signed until you have accepted a firm price from a reputable carrier. When you do accept an offer, we will immediately send you a contract that the carrier has signed that guarantees door to door service, guarantees 100% bumper to bumper insurance, and most importantly guarantees a firm price, so that there are no surprises at delivery.

What will Mercury Auto Transport need from you?

An open line of communication will be the most important thing.
          Let me explain what we can do for you.

What I do is call our network of carriers that frequent this route regularly. At the same time, I post your vehicle to the National Board so your vehicle is exposed to literally every auto carrier in the country.

The only problem I can foresee is that when a carrier calls on your order, I need your approval or disapproval on choosing the best carrier for the best price meeting your pickup and delivery dates. Now most carriers will not wait a day or two for a decision, they will just pick up the next available vehicle on that route, so this is where the open line of communication comes in.

Once we Locate a carrier we will reserve a spot on his trailer after you approve final logistics. At that point with your permission, your down payment (aka Broker fee) would be through us with Visa, Master Card, American Express, or Discover. The remainder is due to the driver in cash or money order on delivery."

Basically the process is, get you under contract for a really low price; then after several days/weeks, tell you the problem is you're not paying enough... eventually you give in and raise your agreed amount, and wait for possibly weeks for delivery. I see that your distance is about 1,356 miles. Some will quote you as little as $.40/mile, but usually ends up at $1 or more, give or take.

At this point, best advice I can offer is keep searching brokers, try to find one that makes you feel the least uneasy, and pull the trigger. And remember, the more you're willing to pay, the less difficult it is. Best of luck to you!
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            We used to have a lady that was good at transporting Studebakers, but she is retired. I forget who she recommended.
            When Peg announced they were retiring she recommended Steve at Always Haulin' 920-602-8032

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Purchasing a used trailer may be your best option if you have the time. We put over 25k miles on ours and got all our money back 10 years later. The only cost was registration and maintenance.

Comment

Is it capable of moving 1400 miles under its own power? If so, consider getting a temp registration from your state, get on a plane, fly up there with the registration and drive it back. Don't forget to call your car insurance company and add it to your policy before you leave Rapid City, SD. Plane fares are pretty cheap right now.

What's the worse that can happen? It breaks down? Well, at that point rent a one-way pickup with a dolly from a truck rental, remove the driveshaft and keep on going. If it's capable of 1400 miles, it might cost you less in airfare, gas, and meals than having it shipped. Plus, you'll have had a 20 to 25 hour adventure.
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

.......yup. There are a LOT of us here who have taken long rides in fresh buys. Another alternative is a one way rental of a UHaul trailer and a buddy with a sturdy pickup who likes to tow.

Comment

It sounds like it would be a fun trip but I can't get that much leave from work! I'll give Always Haulin' a call and see what they have to say....otherwise I guess I just have to rely on a broker. If only there was like, some kind of global "inter" connected "net"work of computers that would allow us to communicate digitally and post our requests so driver's could see them, thereby eliminating the need for brokers and save us all time and money... One of these days technology will advance and keep pace with my amazing ideas.

Comment

Todd Meyer is based in NJ and is a Studebaker Club member and is a one man show with multiple trucks (enclosed or open) . You have nothing to lose by calling him. He may be in the area or he would just take the job.. Great guy.....908 770 0372.

Comment

I was stationed at Ft. Puke for a while and started my first restoration living in a trailer park in Leesville. I feel ya. seems like I could only get 4 days at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by psychokura View Post
                          If only there was like, some kind of global "inter" connected "net"work of computers that would allow us to communicate digitally and post our requests so driver's could see them, thereby eliminating the need for brokers and save us all time and money... One of these days technology will advance and keep pace with my amazing ideas.
                          Lol, good comment. It’s the random and custom nature of this type of situation that makes it so difficult. And on top of that, figuring out who you can trust. There are shipping pages on Facebook that try this, but they mostly don’t work... trying to find somebody coming from your pickup point (or reasonably close) to your destination, and in the timeframe you need, is about the same odds as winning the lottery. And that’s before you even get to price. Keep in mind, the more you will pay, the easier it is to do. It’s no big deal to pay a few grand on a seven figure car, but it doesn’t make sense if a car only cost 2 grand.

You haven’t said what the car or condition is. Or what you’re willing to pay. If you are willing to pay a premium I can get it taken care of for you with no hassle. If I can help, message me, and I will.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Going to get it yourself usually doesn't pencil out if it is more than a day's trip even if you own a big truck to tow with. For this one...

2800 miles at 14 MPG and gas at $2.50/gallon $500
                            Trailer rental 4 days at $60/day $240
                            Food for 2 people at $40/day each $320
                            Motel 3 nights at $120/night

Total $1,420

Yes you can do it cheaper if you also own a trailer and can sleep in the truck and eat peanut butter sandwiches.

$1/loaded mile for an open car carrier is pretty much standard. You can do better if you're willing to wait for a car hauler coming out of Rapid City headed south and desperate for fuel money.

The people Peg recommended, Always Haulin', are brokers. There is really no other way to do a long haul other than going through a broker. If you find a trustworthy broker he will know what truckers are willing to pay for your haul and a good guess on how long it will take to find someone running that route.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

A dollar a mile in an open carrier has been the standard for decades. That maybe the reason that an individual with a pickup can't make out hauling someone else's ride across country. The brokers using networking, with bottom line being the motivation, has put most of the part time hauler on the shelf. What the cut rate carriers failed to dismantle, an ageing driver population, falling vintage car values and pandemic, seemed to have all but destroyed.

I used to have a list of several well vetted drivers willing to make a trip in a reasonable time frame. These were people that I knew, some of whom I considered to be friends. If they couldn't do it themselves they always seemed to know someone who would be willing to make the trip. Those days are long gone!

Comment

Working...
                              X