Thanks to Studebaker Parts Buyers for your Patience with USPS Transit Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Studebaker Parts Buyers for your Patience with USPS Transit Times

I just wanted to thank all you whom buy from our parts vendors with your patience with USPS transit times. While the delays are not consistent, it seems USPS shipping delays remain with us for some packages. Large packages seem to be set aside and forgotten at times. Other packages take crazy scenic routes to their destinations. Some arrive in the 2-3 day time frame while others take several weeks.

Some vendors are using carriers like UPS and Fedex more often but that often results in higher shipping costs for the purchaser

I am not intending this as a slam to USPS. I have seen the backlog at my local USPS with carts and carts of packages to be delivered which they do not have enough hours in a day to address. UPS, Fedex and Amazon seem to have the approach that when they become backlogged they dump the excess on USPS to deliver. So this does not help the USPS situation. USPS offices are having staffing issues due to Covid. Our local carrier has been working 10-12 hour days 6-7 days a week. This also tends to cause burnout and health issues. USPS problems seem like they will linger longer than we would hope and the issues are most likely not easily corrected

So, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE with our vendors and please do not hold them responsible for these issues
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

The USPS Board of Governors will be getting this corrected as soon as it's three empty seats are filled.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If only it was that easy. since the postmaster (DeJoy) also sits on the board, there would still be an even split. The postmaster sits at the behest of the B of G and answers only to them. Under those circumstances proving malfeasance would be hard to make stick. There are congressional investigations going on right now. That's the only hope for a solution.

I'm sickened by what has happened to our USPS! In almost sixty years of association with the USPS, I've seen people come in trying to change the organization. Invariably reality is much different then what most of them perceived. The effective process for moving the mail has been developed over the last two and a half centuries. The political undermining of the institution never made it to the level that it interfered with the movement of the mail. It was just just too important to screw up, that is until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
        If only it was that easy.
        99% of all those serving in the employ of our USPS (I just made that statistic up) have every intention of maintaining the highest standards of service to our citizens.
        Even if a full Board of Governors does not correct the error of DeJoy's appointment, our USPS will outlive him.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

To provide universal service at a uniform low cost. Benjamin Franklin. Those that are interested in history, see the link.

How Ben Franklin Established the US Post Office - HISTORY

Since before I started working for the USPS in the early 80's there has been a concerted effort by private companies to privatize the postal service. The saving grace has been the First Class Mail statute. Those that fail to read history are doomed to repeat it.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            To provide universal service at a uniform low cost. Benjamin Franklin. Those that are interested in history, see the link.

How Ben Franklin Established the US Post Office - HISTORY

Since before I started working for the USPS in the early 80's there has been a concerted effort by private companies to privatize the postal service. The saving grace has been the First Class Mail statute. Those that fail to read history are doomed to repeat it.

Bob Miles
            There is simply no adequate substitute for PO in carrying out it's mandate of supporting the First Amendment to the Constitution. I don't have to imagine how our world would would be different without it. Countless countries have gone to a different delivery format, but none have the logistical requirements that our system faces.

Please don't let this thread go sideways. I only tried to give an opinion as to why getting rid of DeJoy was not as easy as filling the unfilled seats on the board. It will take time, and he and the board, have shown no indication that they plan to change their intended destructive policies.

Comment

Since last year I've had a lot of patience on shipping. All have had their issues. I certainly don't blame the vendors. A couple have tried to apologize in advance but I cut them off and I advised that I knew where the problem was.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I've had USPS stop my house at 8:00 pm on a Friday night to hand deliver a $3.00 Amazon item to my wife. The USPS is being taken advantage of by those companies, and squeezing out small businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Omaha View Post
                  I've had USPS stop my house at 8:00 pm on a Friday night to hand deliver a $3.00 Amazon item to my wife. The USPS is being taken advantage of by those companies, and squeezing out small businesses.
                  Sorry sir but I couldn't disagree more. Volume package services is the only pricing area that the USPS has any real control. Over much of the last thirty years of my postal career, much of my job had was dealing with the large volume mailers. Without going into a great deal of of the cost accounting figures, suffice to say that when volume went up revenue also went up. The USPS is enjoined from making a profit. So profit, in the parlance of the commercial world, is surplus used to offset the deficit, caused by having to prefund employees health care for fifty years hence. Yes the USPS is abused, but not by the businesses that use the service or the customer who ultimately pays for the shiping.
                  Last edited by Hallabutt; 03-14-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X