How many '63 Daytona V8 Wagonaires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many '63 Daytona V8 Wagonaires?

Does anyone know how many '63 Daytona Wagonaires were built? If so, how many sixes and how many V8s? Thanks Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
    Does anyone know how many '63 Daytona Wagonaires were built? If so, how many sixes and how many V8s? Thanks Howard
    There were 11,915 1963 wagons built.
    I believe that If you go to Fred Fox's Feature Article on 1963 Larks in TW you can find the breakout.
    I owned a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire (V8) for more than nine years (unusual for me).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know of one that is available for purchase if anybody is looking. It' s in NE Nevada,

Comment

The Number that is actually Significant is the number surviving, which would be quite Low but no one will ever know.
        My Family & I have owned 7, three remain.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Not to be critical, but I don't see a definitive answer to my question. Does anyone have information that indicates how many '63 Daytona Wagonaires were built? Thanks again, Howard
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Not to be critical, but I don't see a definitive answer to my question. Does anyone have information that indicates how many '63 Daytona Wagonaires were built? Thanks again, Howard
            Howard,

I think the only answer would be to go through all the production orders to get your answer. There was an R2 tested back in 1963 in a car magazine. I could not find a breakdown in my reference books. Does a client want the information?

Good Luck

Bob Miles

Comment

No client involved, Bob, just my curiosity.

Comment

Did you check Fred Fox's Feature Article in TW on 1963 Larks? I hope that you do not expect someone else to follow up on this.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

No client involved, Bob, just my curiosity.
                  The 1963 Model line up changed from 1962. There was the Daytona, Custom, Regal then mid year, Standard. That was the lineup from top to bottom. Most GSA cars were probably Standard or Regal. 1963 you had the Avanti and Gran Turismo to attract showroom traffic in hopes that people would leave in a Lark or Wagonaire. Just a WAG I would figure that the total of Daytona Wagonaire new models produced would be between 2,500 to 3,000. Station wagon production was up in 1963 because of the sliding roof wagon.

Just a hunch, not scientific at all

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob, from South Bend there were no Upper level trim "Custom" Wagons or Wagonaires in '63, Only Regal and Daytona and later a few stripper "Standards", most of them sold as Fleet and or for US Government or the US Postal System.

At Hamilton, there were "Custom Trim Looking" Wagonaires, but when I looked up the available Trim Levels vs "P" Type Body, '63 Station Wagons in the Body Parts Catalog, AND Chassis Parts Catalog I get NO Custom Models were built for '63!

So few of those Oddballs were built that SB Tech Writers either didn't know, or forgot! OR maybe those were called Daytona's P8's?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Canadian Custom Wagonaire1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.3 KB ID:	1882467 Click image for larger version  Name:	63V-P8 Fixed Roof3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	1882470 Here's a rare Fixed Roof S/B ................................................................................ ................................................................................ ..............................Daytona.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lark8Custom4dr3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1882473 This is what a "Real" '63 Custom looks like, a 4 Door Sedan.

Last edited by StudeRich; 02-26-2021, 05:18 PM.
                    StudeRich

Comment

In general, I agree with Rich, as usual. I believe that for 1963, there were P2, P3, P4, P6 and P8 wagons. None were Custom series. Some were special order or only for outside the USA.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Wait a Minute; Wagon Models: '63-P2, P3, P4, P6 and P8?

A P2 is a Standard, a P3 a Heavy Duty Wagon/Police, a P4 is a Regal, and a P8 is a Daytona, WHATS a P6?
                        It Would have been a Custom but there were None!
                        StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Wait a Minute; Wagon Models: '63-P2, P3, P4, P6 and P8?

A P2 is a Standard, a P3 a Heavy Duty Wagon/Police, a P4 is a Regal, and a P8 is a Daytona, WHATS a P6?
                          It Would have been a Custom but there were None!
                          Yes, a Custom, but only sold in certain markets outside the USA (both six and V8).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Howard, I asked this question in another post about a Daytona Wagonaire on EBAY. I hope this extrapolation gives close to what the answer you wanted.

63V30223 is 80.6% through the 1963 Lark & Hawk V8s. 11,915 1963 wagons (all series) built. Extrapolating from the 80.6%, that would yield a total of 2896 1963 Daytona Wagonaires.
                            Thank you Gary. Howard wanted to know about 6 cylinder Daytona Wagonaires, but I am sure that is a very low number of sixes.

Bob Miles

Comment

And when you find a rare but not so desirable 6 Cyl. Wagonaire, there would be a good chance it would not have been ordered with Power Steering, of course it COULD, but not as likely.

That means most would have the Special No Pwr. Steering Gear, ONLY used on 6 and 8 Cyl. , Heavy Convertibles and Sliding Roof Wagonaire's.
                              They are Slow, but easy to Turn.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X