ODD GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODD GT Hawk

Every time I sit and look at a GT Hawk body shape I keep getting this crazy idea. Picture isn't very good because for some reason my printer is acting up but you get the general idea. A two seater with the package tray right behind the seats.
    Attached Files

Maserati already made one like it: 3500GT - 3500GTI (maserati.com)

Craig

Comment

I’ve often had the exact same idea when looking at a GT Hawk. I came close to butchering up a parts car a while ago just to see how well it might look.. And then decided I could find something better to do with my time.

Comment

Maserati Has the wrong roof line. Mbstude. Agree with this lock down crap to much free time. I just think Studebaker could have sold a lot more cars if they had made a two seater R-2 more like a 55-57 T bird and also a convertible and they had all the parts and changes would have amounted to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          I just think Studebaker could have sold a lot more cars if they had made a two seater R-2 more like a 55-57 T bird and also a convertible and they had all the parts and changes would have amounted to nothing.
          Sales stats have always shown 2-seaters of any kind have limited appeal and limited sales regardless how good it looks. Proof of that is the huge sales increase Thunderbird had in 1958 when it became a 4-seater, despite being a recession year.

Craig

Comment

Here's what the GT Hawk looks like when it is shortened. This one is owned by Wayne Mullin in Massachusetts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mullin_sshawk_sm.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1881748

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
              Here's what the GT Hawk looks like when it is shortened. This one is owned by Wayne Mullin in Massachusetts.
              Paint it all one color, rework the back edge of the door glass so it’s leaning forward instead of vertical, and ditch those 14” 1958 wheel covers... And you’d have a winner.

My own vision is to leave the overall length as it is, and shorten only the roof. A filler panel would be needed between the deck lid and rear window. Long and low!

Comment

mbstude My thoughts also. The stock door glass kills the look of the top. This would make a great roadster with a removeable top. Needs a nice set of mag wheels of some sort and I think I would shave the door handles and vent less door glass.

Comment

Very close to custom work done on our '53 by my wife's father and uncle in 1954-5
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                  jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Here is a picture of one that was done up as an ElCamino that I drug home in the late 70's Click image for larger version  Name:	28.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1881822
                    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Paint it all one color, rework the back edge of the door glass so it’s leaning forward instead of vertical, and ditch those 14” 1958 wheel covers... And you’d have a winner.

My own vision is to leave the overall length as it is, and shorten only the roof. A filler panel would be needed between the deck lid and rear window. Long and low!
                      Those proportions might be described as a GT business coupe.
                      Shortening a roof or wheelbase benefits proportions greatly with chopping the top. The GT above would look even more stunning with a 2"-3" chop.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Back in 1970's someone married a Hawk and Lark together. I saw it in Turning Wheels at the Nationals. Anyone have this car or a photo?

Comment

Last edited by mbstude; 02-27-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Last I knew, it was still owned by the same guy here in Florida who built it all those years ago.

It’s “interesting”.
                            It was built in New York State. It was referred to as a Hark. Both the builder and the car retired to Florida some years ago.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
                              Here is a picture of one that was done up as an ElCamino that I drug home in the late 70's Click image for larger version Name:	28.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1881822
                              Man, I like the Camohawk. Does it still exist, somewhere?

Bo
                              Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X