• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT seats- is this factory?

Click image for larger version

Name:	B0770DD4-3040-42B7-8119-5734D1E760A9.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1881659 Came across these seats in a GT on Facebook. Never seen it before. Is it a factory pattern?

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

The cloth inserts are definitely not!

Nor is the '62 Lark radio cover plate.

Craig

Comment

The cloth inserts almost match the South Dakota Governor's blouse, not that there is anything wrong with that:
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The pattern looks like it could be from the era, I’ve just never seen it, wondering if it’s factory. I like it. Looks like early 60s Plymouth.

EDITED TO ADD: closer to mid-50s Plymouth
        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob contact SMS and they probably could send you the year make and model of the fabric. Even from a picture.

mark

Comment

The 1962 got I drove to university had similar upholstery except black. Black vinyl trim with brocade? Black cloth inserts. I’m pretty sure my dad thought/ said it was original and it was unique. Most were all vinyl.

Comment

I wondered the same thing. I recall reading here and elsewhere that the factory vinyl for the 62s had early failure rates even compared to the 63s. If true, I wouldn't be surprised to see an otherwise stock-appearing 62 to have recovered seats. I'm not familiar with what other seat coverings were offered in 62. I suppose a look at the relevant TW article from Fred Fox would answer that question.
              Jim K.
              63 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                Bob contact SMS and they probably could send you the year make and model of the fabric. Even from a picture.

mark
                Nah, I don’t need any and I’m not interested enough to call. I just figured somebody with the knowledge could verify whether it was a Studebaker offering or not.
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

When it comes to 1962 Hawks, you might as well consider any inserts "honorary" original, since many of the originals split within the first year.
                  My granny Hawk from AZ has metallic turquoise inserts in the front seats only. The rears were seldom used, so the originals are still in place.

FWIW, I prefer the inserts posted in the original post to the shiny silver floral brocade my aunt chose for her Hawk, even though that interior gets more compliments than any other aspect of the car.
                  Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

I bought a nice, Riviera Blue '62 Hawk in 1966 and the bucket seats had already been reupholstered. The '62 vinyl was very short lived. Obviously, because of this, in 1963 Studebaker switched to the best vinyl I have ever seen: U.S. royal Naugahyde (now Uniroyal). I have a '64 Avanti and the vinyl everywhere looks and feels as new. It's not rare to see an ad for an Avanti that states "leather upholstery" because it looks & feels so much like leather.
                    -Dwight
                    Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 02-24-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                      I bought a nice, Riviera Blue '62 Hawk in 1966 and the bucket seats had already been reupholstered. The '62 vinyl was very short lived. Obviously, because of this, in 1963 Studebaker switched to the best vinyl I have ever seen: U.S. royal Naugahyde (now Uniroyal). I have a '64 Avanti and the vinyl everywhere looks and feels as new. It's not rare to see an ad for an Avanti that states "leather upholstery" because it looks & feels so much like leather.
                      -Dwight
                      Dwight is totally correct on the 63/64 upholstery. We can attribute the extremely good survival rate of the 63 and 64 seat upholstery to the extremely poor 62 vinyl. I imagine someone in purchasing got a genuine lashing from Egbert after that screw up.

Comment

The seats should have the narrow pleats that go across the seats. '63/4 seat inserts went up and down. Those inserts are as wild as the non original A/C evaporator.
                        Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                        X