Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou Costabile's My Car Story: Steve Doerschlag's '63 Hawk

'Not sure if we've run this before on the forum, but if not, here it is:

Lou Costabile interviews Steve Doerschlag at The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. This was posted on Lou's website as today's (February 20, 2021) "Flashback." BP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_CI...ature=youtu.be
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob, Thanks for posting. What a great job Steve did restoring his Hawk. From what he was saying, it must have been in pretty rough condition. You would never know it now.

Bill

Comment

Wow! What a Significant Hawk!

THE very same One and ONLY Special Painted Two Toned Roof Prototype Super Jet Thrust Hawk that was actually at the Chicago 1963 Model Introductory Auto Show.

No wonder Steve HAD to save a rust bucket!

In my opinion THIS Car is in the same catigory having came back from the Dead, as the Famous Whistler '63 Lark R2 Custom 2 Door Sedan. Now both beyond beautifully restored, to original, Treasures.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-20-2021, 10:15 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

For those of you with complete collections of Turning Wheels, I wrote up the story of Steve and that car in the April 2014 Turning Wheels. Four pages, 12 color photos, including "as purchased." BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Wow! What a Significant Hawk!

In my opinion, THIS Car is in the same category having came back from the Dead, as the Famous Whistler '63 Lark R2 Custom 2 Door Sedan. Now both beyond beautifully restored, to original, Treasures.
          Rich, The Whistler is a Regal 2-door, not a Custom. The Stude Tomato is a 1963 Custom, though; 'easy to get them confused as to fame and fortune (spent fortune, that is...) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by billslark View Post
            Bob, Thanks for posting. What a great job Steve did restoring his Hawk. From what he was saying, it must have been in pretty rough condition. You would never know it now.

Bill
            I remember, seeing pictures of it here, when he found it. Craig, you would, just, be the Coolest, if you could, find the thread, and post a link?

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
              I remember, seeing pictures of it here, when he found it. Craig, you would, just, be the Coolest, if you could, find the thread, and post a link?
              MORE nice coverage of Chicago Auto Show / Motor Trend Cover Car - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Comment

Great coverage and video. Nice to see continued recognition for such an historical Studebaker.
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I'm sorry Craig, I don't see the photos, I remember, of it? As it was when he found it.

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Steve found so many Supercharged Studebakers in Colorado and across the Country.
                    I visited Steve when he started the 63 GT Hawk project. It was a hot day when I visited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0762.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1881593

Comment

Yeah, that looks closer, to what I remember. But as I recall, they were taken at the location, where it was found, and there were a few shots, from different viewpoints. Maybe, they were on Photobucket or something, and are no longer available?

Mark
                      Last edited by S2Deluxe; 02-21-2021, 10:19 PM.
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                        I'm sorry Craig, I don't see the photos, I remember, of it? As it was when he found it.
                        Perhaps this one? "My Car Story" 1963 Motor Trend cover car @ 2017 MCACN - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

Steve has a very nicely restored example there. Looks like it could have just come off the show room floor. I have not been able to connect my 63 Hawk spear lights to the turn indicator though. Did I miss something on the wiring diagram?

Comment

Originally posted by hthomas567 View Post
                            Steve has a very nicely restored example there. Looks like it could have just come off the show room floor. I have not been able to connect my 63 Hawk spear lights to the turn indicator though. Did I miss something on the wiring diagram?
                            No, Thomas; that's an error Steve made describing the car. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Wow Steve! Awesome car! I'm so jealous!

Neil
                              Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop
                              1962 Champ Truck
                              1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X