1962 Lark interior availability questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Lark interior availability questions

A lot of information has been published and posted over the years about interiors, but I still have a few more questions... I have a Regal 4dr with a blue interior, and as is the case with many southern cars, the interior is fried to a crisp- I could probably hold the salvageable bits in one hand. If I don't stick with the blue, I will likely switch to green. Are complete interior kits available, or do you have to piece it together from different sources? Are there some pieces that are unavailable? Is everything available in reproduction materials, or is some of it NOS only? I've read on numerous occasions a that some components in 1962 interiors that didn't hold up well... Hawk vinyl seats come to mind...? I have only seen pictures of NOS stuff from Starlight Studebaker, and it looks great. Do you think new old stock materials would hold up decently in a car that will be driven a few times a week, but generally parked out of the weather?

My Dad has a 1962 Deluxe wagon which I believe has the default tan-ish interior. Same as mine, it is overcooked. He's pretty firmly set on new/reproduction material only. I know we're not dealing with high volume cars like 1955-57 Chevies (thankfully), so does that throw a monkey wrench in the works when you're wanting to do a spot on interior? Things like the door panels on my car look like they could be difficult and get very expensive if you had to almost one off them... considering the different colors and patterns of vinyl, plastichrome, and hot stamping. I've noticed that things like rubber floor and cargo mats can be hard to come by even for more mass market cars. Does anybody know the reason for this?

I know a number of these questions have already been asked and answered in the past, but some were long enough ago that things may be different today.
    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

I purchased Blue seat covers and door panels from Starlight 3 years ago for our Champ and they holding up great , But because they are vinyl and they get sticky in warm weather we keep them covered all the time , Will at Starlight is good to deal with , I would call him and see what he has to offer , Ed

Comment

Another guy to check with is Ernie Loga at Loga Enterprises. He will not have NOS, but possibly close reproductions.

Comment

If your 62' wagon is a that buckskin & white insert style, I got all seat covers & door panels from Will a few years ago NOS and they were exceptional. One caveat: the installer (I'd recommend a pro) must be careful with the old vinyl as to stretch & fit around the corners. I ended up with a very small tear under the driver's seat bottom (couldn't see it unless vacuuming) and my 1st interior guy would not install old NOS materials at all. I'm waiting to hear back from Will on some Taupe interior stuff as of this writing. Does he answer the phone or just take order sheets ??

Comment

A friend mine with a GT Hawk has Ernie's carpet and it is very nice , Getting back to Will , He answered my phone calls or if i left a massage he got back to me in a reasonable time , Ed

Comment

When I talked to Will in 2018 at the International meet he mentioned he had for a 62 Regal blue but in not a large quantity. Check with him for NOS interior. Starlight Studebaker, he is on the vendor list.

One thing I have seen on other posts: when dealing with NOS interiors, since they have been boxed for a period of time, take them out and lay them out in the sunshine. This will heat the vinyl up and will make them more pliable so when it comes time to install, less change of a rip or tear and they make installation easy.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              When I talked to Will in 2018 at the International meet he mentioned he had for a 62 Regal blue but in not a large quantity. Check with him for NOS interior. Bob Miles
              Good deal... Hopefully they'll still have some by the time I'm ready to do mine. I still haven't settled on whether I'm going to keep the interior blue, or switch to green. Depends on what direction I go with exterior color... Trying to convince myself to stick with Ermine White and blue interior, but there are just so many white cars... especially in AZ. Dad's wagon is turns out to be Desert Tan with a grey interior. Just uncovered it tonight, and found that it actually has a few pieces of interior that are salvageable.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Admittedly, my knowledge on interiors is lacking a bit, so the more education I can get, the better.

Comment

A word to the wise regarding NOS interiors especially true of 1962. They didn't hold up when new. For some reason 1962 was really a bad year for upholstery material. Even in mild climates they didn't last ten years. Whatever mistakes Studebaker made, in this regard, were rectified in 1963. Interiors in 1963 wore like iron. Of course almost all sixty yo interiors are bound to show some signs of deterioration today. Maybe today a sparingly used garaged kept car will last a lifetime, but you need to know the pitfalls. I own three Larks a 1960 wagon, (2) 1962 Daytona convertibles and 1963 Dayton htp. Two of my cars still have their original interiors, one has ragtag combination of pieced together original and replacement, and one has a replacement interior. I'll let you guess what the year of the last two cars are.

Bill
                Last edited by Hallabutt; 02-07-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

On a '62 Lark, the Lower cost when new, Deluxe Interior or Regal Cloth & Vinyl will hold up MUCH better than a Daytona full Vinyl one. it was that "Rectangular Biscuit" Pleated, Heat pressed Vinyl that was too hard and cracked in a few years, so NOS after 58 Years, would not likely survive the installation process.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regal 4 Door Blu5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	1879294Click image for larger version  Name:	Regal 4 Door Blu6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	1879295Will should have "Some" '62 Complete "Kits" in stock.
                  < Here is a Blue '62 Regal Cloth & Vinyl Interior.
                  Then, if you are tired of the too common White, you could go '63 Metallic; "Blue Mist", or Solid Blue; '62 Riviera Blue" OR, ANY Blue.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 02-07-2021, 12:03 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Will at Starlight is the only good way to go. He is a great guy and his quality is top notch.

Comment

The only difference between the regal and deluxe door panels in '62 was the regal had the two chrome plastic strips. You could get a set of deluxe and no one might be the wiser - it worked for my '62 Champ (non-original but I like it...) Good luck

Comment

^ That looks great!

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        On a '62 Lark, the Lower cost when new, Deluxe Interior or Regal Cloth & Vinyl will hold up MUCH better than a Daytona full Vinyl one. it was that "Rectangular Biscuit" Pleated, Heat pressed Vinyl that was too hard and cracked in a few years, so NOS after 58 Years, would not likely survive the installation process.

Click image for larger version Name:	Regal 4 Door Blu5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	1879294Click image for larger version Name:	Regal 4 Door Blu6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	1879295Will should have "Some" '62 Complete "Kits" in stock.
                        < Here is a Blue '62 Regal Cloth & Vinyl Interior.
                        Then, if you are tired of the too common White, you could go '63 Metallic; "Blue Mist", or Solid Blue; '62 Riviera Blue" OR, ANY Blue.
                        Thanks for the photos! Believe it or not, there really isn't enough intact material left on the back seat to get a good idea of what it originally looked like. The previous owner put bucket seats out of something newer in and tossed the front seat, so I'll have to track one of those down. I'm guessing Will might have more green interior stuff on hand, as there seem to be quite a few who don't like the color. I'm one of the ones who does... but maybe I should scare up some closer pictures before making that claim, as there are some sickly shades of green

For some reason, my 1962 literature is doesn't have much information on what interior colors were available with each exterior color, and I'm seeing Riviera Blue as the only blue on offer. I *think* I've seen a couple of 62's that were a metallic blue... was that a later addition to the palette? I'm liking Metallic Green, Metallic Brown, and I've always dug the 1961 Flamingo... Just not sure about being stuck with some form of tan interior on the last two colors. I might could live with the Ermine White if paired with a green interior. Or Velvet Black with blue or green, which I'm guessing wasn't technically available.. but actually can look quite striking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          A word to the wise regarding NOS interiors especially true of 1962. They didn't hold up when new. For some reason 1962 was really a bad year for upholstery material. Even in mild climates they didn't last ten years. Whatever mistakes Studebaker made, in this regard, were rectified in 1963. Interiors in 1963 wore like iron. Of course almost all sixty yo interiors are bound to show some signs of deterioration today. Maybe today a sparingly used garaged kept car will last a lifetime, but you need to know the pitfalls. I own three Larks a 1960 wagon, (2) 1962 Daytona convertibles and 1963 Dayton htp. Two of my cars still have their original interiors, one has ragtag combination of pieced together original and replacement, and one has a replacement interior. I'll let you guess what the year of the last two cars are.

Bill
                          Yes. These are some of my concerns. Especially if the car ends up getting pressed into service beyond the occasional weekend drive, which is quite likely. Even if the NOS materials were to wear like iron, there is a finite supply.

Are (or were) there any exact reproduction materials available, or maybe plans to repro stuff in the future? Does sound like Ernie Loga already might have some of that covered... It's one of things where I feel better knowing that I'm not driving around with stuff that may be irreplaceable if it gets damaged or wears out. i.e. - My current driver is a 1986 Chevy truck that I bought in late 2000, and some of the stuff I replaced 15-20 years ago is starting to look a bit shabby again... and shoot. I might live another 40 years, so it will probably come due for some cosmetic freshening another time or two before I sign off.

I'll definitely call Starlight and Loga this week.

Comment

I don't see a phone number for Starlight...... anyone got one ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              I don't see a phone number for Starlight...... anyone got one ?
                              I second that question. Been trying to contact starlight via email for 6 months...anyone have a phone number?

Comment

Working...
                              X