Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bezhawk
    replied
    Ones I used before, had this braided type of heat sink, and fit well. I don't see them listed any more. So, maybe they have been superceded?

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JLB
    replied
    Brad............Is there more clearance on the backside of the housing with the headlight bucket, using the H1 bulb as compared to LED's with a fan? And IF you recall, what SuperBright H1 bulb did you use?
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	118580562_3373158219373412_7934100902939434465_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1888381 I like the look of a traditional headlight reflectors, and lenses, but with good output. This is an LED in a composite reflector designed for an H11bulb. I threw the Halogen capsule away, and replace with a non fan Cree LED from Superbrightled.com.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    ^ Nice equipment you've got there!

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    With LED lighting you do not need to add anything to the wiring plus you get better lighting.
    This is very true, with the caveat that you're using complete lamps that are designated for use with a LED light source, and of those, there's a hundred cheap poseurs for every legitimate product. Those "magic LED bulbs" that are supposed to just drop in to replace halogen bulbs are a non-starter. I will say that there is one company who has one that is capable of meeting type approval, but they have only been tested in one application (modern Ford truck, I think), but we've got a long way to go on that front as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    I used these Cibie Biode headlamps on both my Avanti and my GT Hawk. With proper wiring/relay upgrades as mentioned, I have 460 watts on high beam and 260 Watts on low beam. Night time driving is better than daytime as you can see animals at extremely great distances. Unfortunately I don't do all that much night driving like I used to.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    With LED lighting you do not need to add anything to the wiring plus you get better lighting. It's a a win-win situation. Adding circuits to the wiring has been the bane of every auto restorer in existence. There is nothing worse than looking under the hood or dash to see some "owner" has cobbled up something that they think would improve things. Then they usually put the connectors together with twisted wire, and tape, or wire nuts. Of course if someone is still stuck in old technology and insists on high current drawing halogen lighting, then of course they should use proper upgrades. Just remember for every power circuit on a fiberglass car requires an additional ground.

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    On my 63 Avanti, I installed relays and replaced the undersized 18 gauge wiring to the headlights with 14 gauge wire along with installing halogen bulbs. Those modifications made a big improvement in the headlight brightness. Bud
    Last edited by Bud; 04-03-2021, 04:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    Halogens are brighter but hot; would their heat defog those covers? LED's are great but would they be any better with fogged up headlight covers?
    No. That condensation will stop a powerful beam of light dead in its tracks... and it will be re-dispatched everywhere but the places you need to see. I haven't done any headlight work on a car with separate glass covers, but those should be sealed up enough to stay dry without the heat from a headlamp. Every vintage car I've been around has inadequate wiring for the headlights; most other circuits also have the minimum to just barely get the job done- and that's when everything is shiny and new. If you're using incandescent/halogen lighting, huge improvements can be made by using a harness with relays and larger gauge wire and to make a more direct path from alternator to headlights. I'm in the process of building a harness for my daily driver (an older Chevy truck), while trying to keep it looking as close to stock as I can. I have an average 2.5 volt or more drop through the factory wiring, which is the difference between bright and brownout.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Every Avanti up until 1984 has round headlights, however many years had square headlight surrounds. Sometimes when we say round headlight, we are only referring to the 1963 and early 1964 Avanti. I just felt like putting that out there.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    I worked at JW Speaker and was one of the "line" personnel that worked with engineering to develop the LED's for Harley Davidson. Those were some awesome lights and when we moved down here to Florida eight years ago the company was against making led's for automotive use. They have since changed their thinking and now make some terrific lights for all of us to use. Pricey, but very good units. Bill

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    If they are fogging up, you have a leak in the gasket, or don't have the little wick in the hole in the bottom of the housing.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    It was a dark and stormy night. Years ago, on our way home we were caught in a rainstorm in the Avanti. I couldn't see a thing! Wimpy headlights and fogged up covers left me with little idea where we were. Did manage to glimpse a motel sign which we were so very happy to see. Grateful to escape with our lives and our car intact! The moral is either never drive after sundown or do something with those ridiculous headlights. Anything you'd do would be an improvement. Halogens are brighter but hot; would their heat defog those covers? LED's are great but would they be any better with fogged up headlight covers?

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Halogen bulbs might LEDs no. They produce very little heat. Even Cree LEDs are much, much cooler than incandescent bulbs.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
    Get the LED tail lamp setup and then people behind you can see you when it’s foggy.
    I have seen stated that doing that will "melt" the plastic covers;-(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X