• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pardon Me

This showed up on FaceBook the other day. The caption reads:
    "Pardon Me"
    1936 Hacker-Craft 46' (recent photo)
    with a V - 12 Supercharged Studebaker engine.
    Purported 86 mph.

A cursory Internet search turns up no information or pictures of the claimed engine. Does anyone know anything about this? It might make a good Turning Wheels article if the boat can be located and photographed.

A quick follow-up. A friend found this article but no mention of the engine:

\

Comment

And a video -- but no engine pictures!

After years of not gracing the St. Lawrence River, on July 2, 2014, the new engines of Pardon Me purred to life as she once again kissed the water and made h...

Comment

Probably one of the Packard Marine V-12's as used in PT Boats during WWII.

Bo
        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
          Probably one of the Packard Marine V-12's as used in PT Boats during WWII.

Bo
          You could be right. The only other V12 that might be considered Studebaker related would have been Studebaker's brief ownership interest in Peirce-Arrow? However, I'm thinking that P-A's V12 (flat-head?) was after Studebaker unloaded them during their early '30s bankruptcy. (?) In either case, I believe it would be an unwarranted association.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

86 MPH seems much more than you could expect from a vessel this size and weight with any automotive engine of the day.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Looks like a little Wood Bottom, Chris Craft Speed Boat on Steroids! What a beast, that should have 2 Engines.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                ... that should have 2 Engines.
                The caption under the video indicates it does.

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This article says a new Packard 4M-2500 was installed in 1976: https://www.abm.org/index.php/collec...-of-pardon-me/

Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Perhaps the most beautiful wood boat I've ever seen. Fantastic. The video was disappointing on only one respect. The piano music was horrible. I wanted soooo much to hear the roar of those engines.
                    sals54

Comment

If it does indeed have a pair of those big Packard Marine Supercharged V-12's, that puppy ought to move like a scalded *&% ape...........

Bo
                      Bo

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        86 MPH seems much more than you could expect from a vessel this size and weight with any automotive engine of the day.
                        Agree, Roy, but it's also too fast for two Packard Marine V12s. The WWII PT boats had three of the 1500 hp V12s and they were rated at 45-50 knots; less than 60 MPH.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Post #1 calls it a 1936 model but article mentioned in post #2 says construction started in 1947.

Comment

1936 Hacker-Craft 46' with a V - 12 Supercharged Studebaker engine. . . . 86 mph.
                            Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
                            Post #1 calls it a 1936 model but article mentioned in post #2 says construction started in 1947.
                            There so many here who know so much minutiae of Studebaker lore, we spend many sort-of enjoyable hours pointing out how many errors are in the print/net articles pertaining to Studes.

The errors in the boat articles just illustrate every day many writers are seeking eyeball-click-bait money for writing stuff that's flat wrong, of which they have little or no actual experience.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Agree, Roy, but it's also too fast for two Packard Marine V12s. The WWII PT boats had three of the 1500 hp V12s and they were rated at 45-50 knots; less than 60 MPH.

jack vines
                              But Jack... the PT Boats were 56 tons and 80 feet long. Pardon Me has far less weight and size.
                              And it rides on a two axle trailer. I doubt that a 56 ton PT Boat would ride on that trailer. Jus Sayin
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X