X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan A: Feed sacks.

Plan B: Find a cute girl who can sew.

Comment

Too bad about the WE carb. Plan B above, seems like a good idea for the sewing skills, and maybe a few other things.

Comment

I just installed a (maybe?) factory starter switch that I found under the rear seat.
        I intend to drive this thing out of the garage this week.

Comment

God Dammit!!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210318_174248.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1885886
          This it the 3rd time I've broken a starter snout on this thing. It didn't break where it was welded last time, so I got some other issue I can't figure out.

Name:	20210318_174437.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1885887
          Is there any way I could hack together a snoutless starter?

Name:	20210318_174453.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1885888

Comment

I had a friend that found a big old station wagon that was junk, but he was able to use a lot of it's interior, especially the headliner and adapted it to his car. He got it cheap and really did a nice job. Just a thought, but it proves some folks can accomplish a lot with a little.
            Best of luck and enjoy!

Comment

RE Your repeated starter snout breakage:
              It appears that you must have some sort of an alignment issue going on.
              I believe you’ve had another thread on this, and I don’t have that at hand, but what comes to mind for me is:
              1) Not using the required shoulder bolts to mount the starter;
              2) Bell housing WAY off center, or loose & shifting around;
              3) Bell housing modified/damaged either where it mounts to the engine block or where the starter bolts on.
              4; Wrong size or damaged flywheel/torque converter/ring gear.

In short something that either puts great stress on the snout, or allows the snout to get wacked by something that it should not be in contact with.
              Can’t imagine your frustration & just wanted to throw out some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                RE Your repeated starter snout breakage:
                It appears that you must have some sort of an alignment issue going on.
                I believe you’ve had another thread on this, and I don’t have that at hand, but what comes to mind for me is:
                1) Not using the required shoulder bolts to mount the starter;
                2) Bell housing WAY off center, or loose & shifting around;
                3) Bell housing modified/damaged either where it mounts to the engine block or where the starter bolts on.
                4; Wrong size or damaged flywheel/torque converter/ring gear.

In short something that either puts great stress on the snout, or allows the snout to get wacked by something that it should not be in contact with.
                Can’t imagine your frustration & just wanted to throw out some ideas.

I've been told that only the v8s have the shoulder bolts, I also checked all the bellhousing bolts and they are tight, so there must be an alignment issue with the bellhousing.

Comment

I don't have any input about the starter, but I thought about using a leather couch from Craigslist and repurposing the upholstery for a car. They have tons of free couches on CL. Maybe you can mix the leather with cloth inserts from another.

Comment

Working...
                  X