Look what followed home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    That is a strange looking hub puller. There should be a nut (reversed) on the axle. It does not look centered/balanced (perhaps the picture).
    I hadn't tightened it up yet so it wasn't center, I did forget to install the nut on shaft before removing hub, but came off and shaft is fine so no issues.
    Its a puller I bought from Snap- on 30+ years ago, don't use it much, but priceless when I need it.
    Brakes were redone before the car was parked, so I lucked out. I'm going to replace rubber hoses and master cylinder, and then I should have brakes.

Comment

Congrats, I have a 63 GT Hawk and an R1 64 full performance packg car, 4 speed etc. loves those GT Hawk, really nice drive and everyone thinks its a Benz or a European car.
      Enjoy your driving and all the smiles you give
      Mark
      be

Comment

After some work, I got spark. Cleaned out the tank and lines, added a couple of gallons of fuel , changed oil and filter. Let’s see what happens next

Comment

Really looks like it had been cared for. Looking forward to following along.

Comment

Not letting me post video of 1st start, but after a few minutes it’s running good, no smoke. Once I replace the master cylinder, I should have brakes and be moving under it’s own power.

Comment

Seems only logical to use a classic penetration oil on a classic car
              Last edited by Russk; 12-11-2020, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Are you aware that the Rear Axle Key, Axle and Hub Center MUST be clean and Dry before re-assembly?
                Any grease on those Parts will cause the Key to be forced to far into the Hub damaging it and possibly cracking it.

Always Purchase and follow the Studebaker Shop Manual and have the Chassis and Body PARTS Catalogs handy for understanding the assembly and ordering Parts.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Russk View Post
                  Seems only logical to use a classic penetration oil on a classic car
                  I have that same can, missing cap and all. I've always 3 in 1 around as my mom used to use the same brand for her Singer Sewing Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

I have that same can, missing cap and all. I've always 3 in 1 around as my mom used to use the same brand for her Singer Sewing Machine.
                    Since I was young enough to remember, 3-in-1 is the only multipurpose oil my family used. With the new Marksman spout it’s become even more versatile. I use it to pre-lube almost everything that doesn’t have a torque spec: headlight ring screws, fender screws, throttle linkages, etc etc.

The distinctive smell just like WD-40 you can never forget.

Comment

Not a lot has happened with the Studebaker lately. We bought it at a Estate sale, brought it home, then went back and bought the house. Now it looks like we are moving to North Ga. Once we get settled, I can jump back on this.

Comment

Hub puller looks fine. Presume there is a point on the inside bolt. Studegary is correct about using the tool. Put the nut on backwards on the axle so the ends of the axle threads are not damaged. Btw, nice car!

Comment

Got it apart only to find that it needs everything, drums, shoes, cylinders, now deciding on which way to go with it. Full over haul on brakes and keep drums, convert to disc, or upgrade suspension and everything. I plan on adding a lot of mileage to her .
                          I haven't seen a pro touring Studebaker......Hmmm

Comment

That is an Owatonna Tool Co. puller---the right stuff! What are you using?????

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                              That is an Owatonna Tool Co. puller---the right stuff! What are you using?????
                              I bought it off of a Snap -on truck back in the 90s, i was a auto technician for 38 years.

Comment

This is my Father in laws car I restored a few years ago, he is 81 and still drives it.

Comment

Working...
                                X