Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America's only 4 passenger high performance personal car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Like jumping out of a car or stage coach in the movies???? LOL
    Yeah, after the first couple times you learn how to roll when you hit the ground.
    --Dwight

Comment

As far as Studebaker axles unexpectedly breaking, it has been reported countless times over decades, and is still regularly occurring, although with fewer still operating Studebaker’s and the greatly reduced cumulative number of miles being driven the less aware people become of the danger.
      In today’s world that failure rate would be certain to bring on lawsuits and a safety recall. But with the Company and all who could be held responsible now being ancient history, the responsibility for a safe vehicle falls squarely on us individual Studebaker owners and Club members to bring this safety concern to attention.
      As this matter has been brought up here repeatedly for decades, there is a documented awareness of this safety defect.
      Whoever you are, if you are reading this YOU may be held personally responsible if your Studebaker injures or causes an accident due to a axle breaking. You have been warned of the danger. It’s up to you to see that your vehicle is safe....or park it.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

There you and I can agree, Dwight. When refreshing your brake system, the lines and hoses are tops of the list.

I think all of us have purchased cars/projects where the wheel and master cylinders have been done, but not the lines. The former are often “easier” to change than the latter - but they too can rust from within.
        Back in 1997 I replaced all the steel brake line in my Avanti. Four years ago I changed all the rubber brake hoses to Jim Turners SS rubber wrapped hoses, which included the small oil pressure hose. Three years ago I replaced all the fuel line with Cinifer ( the old line was still good, go figure) Four years ago I replaced the master cyl with a two chamber, which I purchased from Jon Myer (he drills a hole for the stop light switch). I also SS sleeved the front and rear whl. cyls.

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

what are the advantages of a dual master cylinder, proportioning or safety, rather feel or just peace of mind?
          I have owned my Avanti since 1966. And yes, in all those years only 'the man upstairs' knows how much green has been 'poured' into the car......to just keep it up and running. I have to say in all honesty that the only thing I "hate" about the car is its lack of water tightness. The sucker leaks water big time in most all rains, although for years it is not driven in the rain......this past summer I was returning from the shop which had installed a new York compressor and R/D..along with R12. My luck I hit bumper to bumper traffic (4-speed) and it starts to pour..........the water so 'quietly' enters inside the cabin and all the windows fog up big time!!!..........I now can not see out to the sides and the rear..........the a/c is useless as the compressor drags the engine down and she stalls...........can anyone spell "brown pants'??...I re-start with no a/c..............open the windows ( as the rains pours in).....and frantically wipe the windshield with a large white towel............I managed to make it to the next local exit. where I exited and drove home via local streets. I have owned two ther Stude Avantis, and a '67 "2" with 4 speed and no a/c.

Comment

Anyone who owns an original '63 - '64 Avanti and says it doesn't leak, ain't telling the truth.
            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
              As far as Studebaker axles unexpectedly breaking, it has been reported countless times over decades, and is still regularly occurring, although with fewer still operating Studebaker’s and the greatly reduced cumulative number of miles being driven the less aware people become of the danger.
              In today’s world that failure rate would be certain to bring on lawsuits and a safety recall. But with the Company and all who could be held responsible now being ancient history, the responsibility for a safe vehicle falls squarely on us individual Studebaker owners and Club members to bring this safety concern to attention.
              As this matter has been brought up here repeatedly for decades, there is a documented awareness of this safety defect.
              Whoever you are, if you are reading this YOU may be held personally responsible if your Studebaker injures or causes an accident due to a axle breaking. You have been warned of the danger. It’s up to you to see that your vehicle is safe....or park it.
              Not just Studebaker.

IIRC, Mopar cars used tapered axles until 1965. Jeep used them until 1971.

Tapered axles were the standard for many years.

I would guess that any manufacturer using Dana axles until the mid 60s had tapered axles.

So axle failure after 50, 60 years, makes bad design?

78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Owned several ‘50s and ‘60s Mopars, never experienced any failures with their tapered axles, although there must have been a few given the large displacement high powered engines that were fitted early on.
                When my ‘65 Dart 4 speed 273 Commando spit the spider gears in its dinky 6 rear axle, I replaced it with a B body tapered axle, posi 8 3/4 axle, this also allowing me to run 15” wheels. Stood up to hundreds of high rpm drag strip launches.
                Never had any of my Studebaker’s on the strip, their axles failed by snapping off flush at the brake drum hub in everyday street driving.

Comment

Working...
                X