Studebaker Postcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Postcards

Friends; I need some help on factory postcards provided to the dealers by the Publications Department in 1959. I have three (3) postcards of the new Larks- PD 9074-A showing a biege Regal four door sedan; PD 9074-B showing a yellow Regal station wagon; and PD 9074-C showing a green two door hardtop coupe.

Question #1- Were there other cards in this series on the Larks[?]

Question #2- Did the PD issue a Hawk postcard in 1959[?]

Any help will be appreciated. Merry Christmas to all and may 2009 be more kind to us!! Thanks,

Frank Drumheller
    60S-W6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

quote:Originally posted by studelark

[size=3]Friends; I need some help on factory postcards provided to the dealers by the Publications Department in 1959.

Question #1- Were there other cards in this series on the Larks[?]

Question #2- Did the PD issue a Hawk postcard in 1959[?]
    From March, 1983 Turning Wheels.

Craig

Comment

Frank are you sure the '59 2 Dr. Wagon was not Tahiti Coral? As you know it is a Pinkish Beige color. I can't find my postcards to check, but there WERE no Yellow '59's! [:0] Off-White maybe?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is a photo the original counter display for the '59 cards. It measures 12 X 17" and has the three plastic pockets that would hold about 30 cards each. With this display came another 200 or so of each of the cards. This has been stored away in the original mailing box for the past 50 years and opened only twice once to take the photo above!

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

This is a photo the original counter display for the '59 cards. It measures 12 X 17" and has the three plastic pockets that would hold about 30 cards each. With this display came another 200 or so of each of the cards. This has been stored away in the original mailing box for the past 50 years and opened only twice once to take the photo above!

Did they come out later in the model year? The wagon appears to be Bamboo Yellow, a 1959 Spring color.

Craig

Comment

That's a great, rare item, Richard. I've never seen one of those displays. That '59 wagon sure looks yellow, but as Rich said, I thought it wasn't offered in 1959. I've never seen a '59 yellow car of any kind. Never knew there was a Bamboo Yellow offered. Must be late cards. The grill looks like a 59, not a 60.

Sure enough, found one paint chip chart.
            [img][/img]

Comment

Above the supplement to the dealer data book with the Spring colors and showing the Bamboo Yellow and others.

The post card display easel still has the original postmark on the mailing box of March 23, 1959.

Richard Quinn
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Yep, daa! It says Spring and Summer! That explains why there were relatively few built.
                I stand corrected, forgot about those! The Bamboo Yellow is an unusual and neat color. [^]
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ahaa.. one of those 59-60 dealer data books on which I always get outbid! Cool stuff, I love it. Pretty rare color, I'd say. Thanks for posting the super rare items again, RQ. That Lark display is great. [^]

Comment

I have a 59 Silver Hawk post card, but it is not a factory card.

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Ahaa.. one of those 59-60 dealer data books on which I always get outbid! Cool stuff, I love it. Pretty rare color, I'd say. Thanks for posting the super rare items again, RQ. That Lark display is great. [^]
                      One must remember, even if you are the lucky bidder on one of those Dealer Sales books, its still only a 50-50 chance if any of the later Spring Color or mid-year model inserts included in it. Remember the post on the gold 1963 book with the Standard model for example. I'm still looking out for the Spring Color inserts for the 1966 models, but I want the separate package. The dealers were instructed to paste them over the discontinued colors in the book.

Craig.

Comment

Friends: Thank you so much for so much new information.

Richard, I, too, have never seen one of the dealer postcard stands. Never knew they existed.

I've learned quite a bit just asking about postcards. You guys are walking encyclopedia.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Frank Drumheller
                        Louisa, VA
                        60S-W6
                        1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

I think that there was no 1959 Hawk postcard because at the beginning of planning for 1959, there was not any Hawk in the plan. I think that the dealers pushed Studebaker to make a 1959 Hawk.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I think that there was no 1959 Hawk postcard because at the beginning of planning for 1959, there was not any Hawk in the plan. I think that the dealers pushed Studebaker to make a 1959 Hawk.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            First time I'd heard that. I remember hearing that about the '60 Hawk from Fred Fox. He reported that the first '60 Hawk wasn't built until Feb. '60.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

The elusive 1959 Hawk post card!

Richard Quinn
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X