November Turning Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November Turning Wheels

Thanks Andy! I really enjoyed your article about the Studebaker Team of Women endurance drivers! All held at the Atlantic City Speedway also know as the Amatol Track. This track is in my back yard here in Hammonton NJ. There is some remains left of the track, concrete footings and retaining walls. A lot of the wood from the board track was recycled into building lumber for many houses here in town.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Bill, go over to where the track was and take a few pictures of its remains and post here. Studebaker used that track on many different occasions. It'd be neat to what is still there.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I’ll do that! I’ll have to wait until a good frost sets in. There are many ticks back in there! Here’s a screen shot from Google Earth of what the track looks like today.
      Attached Files

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Found some photos from Amatol. Some footings and service trenches. And there are remains of the Amatol explosives factory storage bunkers from 1918z
        Attached Files

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

I’m not far away either. My Grandfather told me he was there during the tracks later days....the boards were loose and they could climb up from underneath and peek their heads up as the cars went by. I’ve driven the track, all the way around, in my 1958 Land Rover. Of course, the track itself is long gone and it’s just an unused dirt road/trail now, where the roadway had been built. Don’t try for any new speed records there! In the mid 1960s I squirrel hunted with my Dad all around there. Never found anything interesting, but there was a lot of “window glass” with wire netting through it around the concrete walls remaining from its shell loading days. There’s an area back in the woods there about 100 yards across where nothing, ever, that has grown. I can’t imagine “what” was dumped there.

Comment

We were back there about 1975 and were following the many rail lines that ran from the munitions plant to Elwood. At one of the signal concrete mountings I found a intact Edison Battery Oil bottle. The signals were powered by Edison Iron core batteries. The oil was used to stop or inhibit corrosion at the connections. I recently donated it the local historical museum. They were tickled pink as they had few items connected to Amatol.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Nov.2020 issue delivered in Moncton, New Brunswick on November 3. That may be the earliest delivery on record.

Bill
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Must have been flown in !

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

One important remnant of “Racing Days” does indeed remain. As you travel Rt. 30, the White Horse Pike, between Elwood and Hammonton you’ll see the NJ State Police Lab, and behind it a large (now closed) white building. That Was the administration building for the Speedway.

Comment

There also remains Burdicks Bus Stop across the White Horse Pike. It was a very busy place back during Speedway days. Many car manufacturers had garages behind Burdicks, including the Studebaker Factory team . Garages are long gone and Burdicks had been turned into a club called “The Bus Stop”

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Well you can now be on the look out for December's issue as it went to press on the 12th. It will be in the mail by the 19th so in your mailbox when the USPS and others decide it's time for it to arrive.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Burdicks was also where ALL the buses that ran between AC and Philly stopped. I imagine everyone took a bathroom break there.......as a kid I had the Worst lunch of my life there, treated to it by my Grandpop. I never knew it had such important speedway associations. .

Comment

Regarding "lost Speedways", are you aware History Channel is coming out with a series of forgotten speedways in conjunction with Dale Earnhardt Jr?
                          I believe the first is tomorrow, November 16th.
                          https://www.history.ca/shows/lost-speedways/
                          Cheers,
                          Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, I wasn’t aware of these programs! I missed the first episode but will tune in for the rest.
                            Wonder if they’ll cover Amatol?
                            tracks from the 1920’s could be long, long forgotten.
                            As another Amatol fact... there were many protest and community action groups formed in the 1980’s when the county government wanted to use the site as a land fill / dump. Thankfully it was discovered that a endangered species of tree frog existed within the tract.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Here’s the Admistration Building. And Burdicks

Comment

Working...
                              X