Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This a 1953 Studebaker Accessory License Plate Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a 1953 Studebaker Accessory License Plate Frame?

I have what I "think" is a '53 Studebaker Accessory license plate frame with the Tri-Star on it, but cannot find any factory illustration (or even the AC number). Looked and looked for any of Fred Fox's TW articles on the '53s to no avail.

Does anyone have a '53 Accessory manual/booklet that shows the accessory license plate frame, or a factory brochure showing it?

Pics of what I have. The frame is stainless steel, and the 'nameplate' looks like brass:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05948 resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	1861486

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05949 resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	1861487
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
    I have what I "think" is a '53 Studebaker Accessory license plate frame with the Tri-Star on it, but cannot find any factory illustration (or even the AC number). Looked and looked for any of Fred Fox's TW articles on the '53s to no avail.

Does anyone have a '53 Accessory manual/booklet that shows the accessory license plate frame, or a factory brochure showing it?

Pics of what I have. The frame is stainless steel, and the 'nameplate' looks like brass:
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05948 resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	1861486

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05949 resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	1861487

On page 93 of the (Inside Facts) 1953 Engineering Manual for Studebaker Salesmen they show a picture of it.
    sigpic
    Jim

Comment

Yes, very definitively an accessory 1953 license plate frame. Very nice find too. Let me know should you decide to part with it.
      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Cool accessory.

Interesting that it only fits one size of license plate. The accessory brochures in that era had a frame that expanded and/or contracted to fit plates of different dimensions.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yep, it is for a 53 and I have one on The Saturday Night Special. It was meant for the front, but since I don't have a front tag, I put mine on the back.

RadioRoy , I don't know if there were a first and second design, but mine came with a bracket that would accept the 56 up tag. They also came with a clear cover and on some they were blacked out around the edges for the shorter license plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_78346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	1861514
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_78345.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1861516

Name:	image_78348.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1861517
          Last edited by Flashback; 10-18-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Your frame is pictured on pages 2 and 6 of the 1953 Studebaker Accessories brochure. Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Al from Eatonville View Post
              Your frame is pictured on pages 2 and 6 of the 1953 Studebaker Accessories brochure. Just so you know.
              Thanks Al. Any chance you can scan those pages, or take pictures of those pages?
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Will try to do so. I have taken several pictures of pages in the brochure. Just trying to figure out how to send them.

Comment

Thanks Al. And I sent you a Private Message also.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

From my original copy of the 1953 accessories brochure:

Name:	plate frame 1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1862067

Closeup of above:

Name:	plate frame 2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1862068

Name:	plate frame 3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1862069

Note that picture #2 and #3 are not exactly the same. I think #1 and 2 are more of a artist image and #3 is the real part. However, even then those 2 rivets holding the crest on are not shown.

That said, no question the part the OP has is a real '53 accessory plate frame.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Please be advised that most, if not all, states prohibit the covering of the license plate, including clear covers.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X