Studebaker Semi/Tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Semi/Tractor

I am looking for a Studebaker Tractor, and I see a lot of Cab and Chassis but I cannot find the wheelbase for a Tractor anywhere in notes that I have, books that I have, ect
    Does anyone know what the wheelbase of a Tractor was from the factory. Was there a standard wheelbase for a Tractor? On the charts I see wheelbases from 132 to 212.
    I found a trailer toter online, but it looks like it has been shortened. I want a true Tractor/Semi.
    Thanks

I found a trailer toter online, but it looks like it has been shortened.
    FWIW, the trailer toter has a telescoping frame and two driveshafts, so it can run long or short wheelbase. When length regulations required a very short wheelbase, remove the long driveshaft, pull the pins, winch up the frame, install the short driveshaft, reinstall the pins and good to go. To go back to long wheelbase, reverse the process

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Since Stude did not offer factory tandem axles on their trucks, nearly all had a single rear axle. The wheelbase most commonly used for road tractors was 131", which was available on all 1, 1.5, and 2-ton trucks.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Factory photo of an 8E40 - 131 WBClick image for larger version

Name:	?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.trucktrend.com%2Ff%2F58828527%2Bre0%2Bar0%2Bst0%2F1962-studebaker-diesel.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1861502

Comment

What Diesel engine did these trucks use?

Comment

Originally posted by ozrod View Post
            What Diesel engine did these trucks use?
            They used a Detroit Diesel, either 3-53 or 4-53. Used from 1962-64.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1962-studebaker-diesel-truck-rare-5.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1861533

Comment

Carroll Studebaker used this one to bring his electric cars and buggies to the 1980 Gettysburg National.

Name:	PICT0014.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1861536 The sun flare was caused by an unknown pin hole in the bellows of my Agfa Isolette. Sorry about that.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Name:	Asa Hall's trucks.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1861538 And Asa Hall's rig, also at Gettysburg 1980.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the information. No wonder I could not find anything on specifications for a Semi.
                  So in other words, Trucks used for hauling a trailer would come out of the factory as a Cab and Chassis and the owner would put a Fifth Wheel on the chassis?

Comment

Does anyone know of a Tractor for sale? I seen a 47 in South Bend a while ago, but was not able to get it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by thestudeman View Post
                      Thanks for the information. No wonder I could not find anything on specifications for a Semi.
                      So in other words, Trucks used for hauling a trailer would come out of the factory as a Cab and Chassis and the owner would put a Fifth Wheel on the chassis?
                      Basically, yes. Studebaker offered several "factory" bodies, including pickup, flatbed, and stake. The pickup bodies were made in house, while the flatbeds and stakes were actually built by Edwards Iron Works in South Bend. Edwards also offered road tractor 5th wheel conversions and other truck bodies, but I don't think Studebaker ever offered those as a single-price, factory option. However, they may have done so once they started offering Detroit Diesel engines in all but the lightest truck models in late 61. Would be glad to be corrected on that.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

It would REALLY be Cool if someone could locate and Purchase Lionel Stone's Former Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker's "Bonneville" '63 Transtar Semi Tractor! . .
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          It would REALLY be Cool if someone could locate and Purchase Lionel Stone's Former Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker's "Bonneville" '63 Transtar Semi Tractor!
                          Are you sure it's not in your garage already, Rich!!?!

Craig

Comment

Not sure Craig, I can't see it for the 50 Others in the way!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by thestudeman View Post
                              Does anyone know of a Tractor for sale? I seen a 47 in South Bend a while ago, but was not able to get it at the time.
                              Not a tractor any more. 20years back I restored a 62 8E45. It was a 131 WB with a dump bed. I made it 195 WB and put on a flat bed. Powered by the 4-53 Detroit Diesel, 5 speed direct , A auxiliary Brown and Lipe over and under transmission and the optional hi speed differential. It also had full air brakes. I sold it to George Orphanidys . The last I herd it could be purchased. I don't have a picture in this computer. It was in several Turning Wheels as a platform for the Studebaker Truck Farmers picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X