1962 Daytona Skytop, any interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Daytona Skytop, any interest?

While we had this morning our annual breakfast cook out in the park, one of our long time members mentioned they were going to sell a 1962 Daytona Skytop. I just heard a bit of the conversation but did not press on details.

This I do know about the car. The previous owner drove it to the International meet I believe in 1983. The one time I saw the car it was black with Mopar chrome wire wheel. I was originally a 6 but had a transplant of a 289/3 od and A/C added. The current owner has owned the car for some time. He does not do internet and is unaware of my query.

Is there any interest? From what little I heard, the car has been down but it has been inside storage so it is not baked. I have no idea what he wants or what the car would be worth to a Studebaker person. If someone would like to know, I can contact the people involved in the conversation. I have no interest so no dog in the fight. Just seeing if I can help out that's all. I believe it is in the Skytop Registry.

Bob Miles

Bob, I may be interested. A Skytop is high on my wish list.

Comment

I should be interested in it in that I owned, for long periods of time, 1961 and 1963 hardtop Skytops. Out of more than 50 Studebakers, I have never owned a 1962, probably because I do not care for them.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not sure why you would ask if there is any interest. Obviously somebody would me, including myself. As always, price/pics/location are the obvious questions.
        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Car is in Tucson and has been here for 40 years. PM me for owner information. Car is black with black and red interior. One thing, it was/is a Regal but Daytona trim has been added as well as interior. Car was originally a 6 but has a 289/Flightomatic. I was in error about the overdrive in an earlier posting. It has not been stored outside.

Current owner does not do computers. He and his wife are out of town for a week. PM me if you want owners name and address. I don't know if he has pictures or if he is willing to take any. No idea on what he is asking.

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob, Fred Gooch is the current owner per the Skytop registry. PM sent

Comment

Saw the car in South Bend about that time. He also purchased my 63 Cruiser R1 Sky Top. One of your local members purchased it from Chuck. Heard later it was for sale.

Comment

Bruce Sandburg purchased it from Chuck and as pointed out in an earlier post Fred Gooch has the car.

Bob Miles

Comment

I just popped on Craigslist this morning after the Forum and here it is:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...226696593.html

I would think at this price, it won't be around that long.

I will also post on Found On Line.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    I just popped on Craigslist this morning after the Forum and here it is:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...226696593.html

I would think at this price, it won't be around that long.

I will also post on Found On Line.

Bob Miles
                    To me, it seems like a lot for a modified car built out of a six cylinder car that still needs a lot.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

To me, it seems like a lot for a modified car built out of a six cylinder car that still needs a lot.
                      I think you're looking out the window on this one, Gary. I don't think he's that far wrong. If I could easily inspect it in person and transport it reasonably I'd be on my way to make an offer.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It was a 6 cylinder car and has Daytona side trim installed. You will notice I was in error when I made post #1. Bruce corrected me on the errors and the listing also adds information.

I guess the question everyone has to answer: do I want a car to show for a trophy, or a car to drive, enjoy and showing be d*&@ned.

Bob Miles

Comment

Any time you find a '62 that has had the Splitting Machine pressed, Vinyl factory upholstery replaced with Hand Stitched pleated "Soft" Vinyl in the Correct Pattern, you know it is Better than New!

It has Split Bench seats that may be reclining, a 289 Engine and an ORIGINAL Skytop, it doesn't get much better than that.

The significant thing about the "Mod", is that it is not the 6 Cyl. to V8 Change that is a big deal, it's the Change from a J6 Regal Bench Seat to a J8 Daytona (visually only) that COULD have had a Bench Seat "Special Ordered" to replace the Standard Bucket Seats and Console.

But of course my thought gets watered down by the Fact that I don't believe we built any Daytona Sixes HERE, and this is a USA Lark.
                          Of course the October 1963 CD Version Copy, '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog AND the Sept. 1963 Chassis Parts Catalog BOTH must have left the Option Open to build one for someone "Special" or what ever, because it say's there WERE '62S & '62V-J6 Hardtops AND '62S & '62V J8 Luxury Hardtops.

NO 1962 Daytona Hardtops! Probably corrected in Later Versions.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2020, 01:18 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Any time you find a '62 that has had the Splitting Machine pressed, Vinyl factory upholstery replaced with Hand Stitched pleated "Soft" Vinyl in the Correct Pattern, you know it is Better than New!

It has Split Bench seats that may be reclining, a 289 Engine and an ORIGINAL Skytop, it doesn't get much better than that.

The significant thing about the "Mod", is that it is not the 6 Cyl. to V8 Change that is a big deal, it's the Change from a J6 Regal Bench Seat to a J8 Daytona (visually only) that COULD have had a Bench Seat "Special Ordered" to replace the Standard Bucket Seats and Console.

But of course my thought gets watered down by the Fact that I don't believe we built any Daytona Sixes HERE, and this is a USA Lark.
                            Of course the October 1963 CD Version Copy, '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog AND the Sept. 1963 Chassis Parts Catalog BOTH must have left the Option Open to build one for someone "Special" or what ever, because it say's there WERE '62S & '62V-J6 Hardtops AND '62S & '62V J8 Luxury Hardtops.

NO 1962 Daytona Hardtops! Probably corrected in Later Versions.
                            This car was built as a 62S J6, a 1962 Regal hardtop with six cylinder engine. There were also offered both 62S J8 and 62V J8 1962 Daytona hardtops.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

This car was built as a 62S J6, a 1962 Regal hardtop with six cylinder engine. There were also offered both 62S J8 and 62V J8 1962 (NOT) Daytona hardtops.
                              Of course in actuality they certainly APPEAR to be Daytona's, but the powers to be must have been trying to show that there WERE no Actual Daytona Trim Levels, that would mean the Cruiser Simulated Walnut Dash, Bucket Seats, Console and "Daytona" specific Side Trim were merely just Options on the '62S & '62V-J8 "Luxury" Trim Hardtops and '62S &'62V-L8 "Luxury" Convertibles.

I wonder if the Production orders read that way. A J8 or L8 '62 "Luxury" Hardtop or Convertible, ordered with the Bucket Seat Option & Daytona Trim?

IF, that was never changed in the Books.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X