Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper name for a 1958 President hardtop (Starlight or Starliner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper name for a 1958 President hardtop (Starlight or Starliner)

I've heard the '58 President (and Commander for that matter) 2 door hardtops referred to as Starlights or Starliners. Just for my own knowledge, I'd like to know which is correct (I'm uncertain because of the naming convention for earlier 2 door hardtops vs. coupes). Thanks Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
    I've heard the '58 President (and Commander for that matter) 2 door hardtops referred to as Starlights or Starliners. Just for my own knowledge, I'd like to know which is correct (I'm uncertain because of the naming convention for earlier 2 door hardtops vs. coupes). Thanks Howard
    I believe that they were Starlights for 1958. Previous hardtops were Starliners. I believe that Studebaker had already lost the Starliner name to Ford before the 1958 models came out.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ford: Starliner was the hardtop, Sunliner was the convertible. I think they started using that in 1959 but I could be mistaken. So I have seen the 58 President advertised as Starlight.

Bob Miles

Comment

A friend of mine named his "Mister President" and that seemed to fit.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

WOW! The Starlight is in the "Constellation" of Studebaker Packard Automobiles!

Yes, Ford WAS into Lines and Liners!

Mainline
          Customline
          Crestline
          Starliner
          Sunliner

Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Ford Starliner.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1861364
          Last edited by StudeRich; 10-17-2020, 02:52 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now I can rest easy knowing the answer.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              WOW! The Starlight is in the "Constellation" of Studebaker Packard Automobiles!

Yes, Ford WAS into Lines and Liners!

Mainline
              Customline
              Crestline
              Starliner
              Sunliner

Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Ford Starliner.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1861364
              Not to mention Glamour and Scintillating! All of this in a National Geographic Magazine. At least 1958 of all the merger years loss was at $11 million dollars thanks to Harold Churchill. The lose as I remember would have been greater but the 4 quarter has the early Lark profits to bolster things.

Bob Miles

Comment

Howard just call it a 58 Studebaker hardtop.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Howard just call it a 58 Studebaker hardtop.
                  Studebaker had two hardtop body styles in 1958; the 'K' and new 'J' body for that year. Referring to the J-body as a 'Starlight' would prevent someone confusing it with a Golden (and Silver in Canada) Hawk hardtop.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    Not to mention Glamour and Scintillating! All of this in a National Geographic Magazine. At least 1958 of all the merger years loss was at $11 million dollars thanks to Harold Churchill. The lose as I remember would have been greater but the 4 quarter has the early Lark profits to bolster things.Bob Miles
                    Right, the only "Almost" saving grace were the Scotsman's, they and especially the Scotsman Station Wagon Sales surprised everyone in Studebaker Management.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X