Cab Over filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Over filter?

This has to be scarce if tag is correct. A 1937 Cab Over air cleaner! It is odd that filter medium is not removable. Was my dad just pulling a little wool over people's head. Does it really fit a bunch of stuff?Click image for larger version  Name:	20201014_172219.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	1860907

I do remember reading an article in Turning Wheels about your dad stumbling onto a very rotten Cabover truck. Maybe back in the 80’s or early 90’s issues?
    Last edited by mbstude; 10-14-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Matt, I thought that he had shown me this before as a joke. I thought maybe he just found the most obscure application for this and tagged it as such.

Comment

Found it in the TW index. Page 25, July 1994 issue.

“.....Slipping into his ordinary brown coveralls, Lark knew this clever disguise would allow him to pass as an ordinary person. None would guess he was an SDC agent on a quest to find a rare and mysterious Studebaker cabover truck. The early Indiana inhabitants called it “Kohlrabi.” Legend handed down through the South Bend tribe reported that the truck had existed, but there were few alive today who could claim to have seen it....”

Photos within the article show the mission was a success.

I’d like to buy the air cleaner if it’s up for grabs. I always liked the Kohlrabi story.
        Last edited by mbstude; 10-14-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Sure I will sell it. It is in very rusty condition. Unsure of value. $3-4,000? It is priced reasonably because the very scarce Cab-Over rust.

Comment

Is financing available?

Comment

If someone out has a CO and wants this, I would like to it see it go to them. Other than that, Matt has first dibs on it.

Comment

More photos. Front is embossed FRONT. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_190033.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1860935Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_190042.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1860936 The tube is held on with a looong cotter pin.

Comment

Was this filter cleaned with solvent then oiled? Too heavy duty for a throwaway top filter piece.

Comment

According to the attached ad, Studebaker referred to the cab-over truck as a 'short-coupled truck'. Even more interesting to me, I don't recall ever reading that Autocar helped produce this model of Studebaker.

sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                      Was this filter cleaned with solvent then oiled? Too heavy duty for a throwaway top filter piece.
                      It’s a dry type, it’s meant to be cleaned. I made the mistake of putting oil on one once and then noticed a cloud of smoke when I started the car.

I agree, if someone needs this thing for their truck, it belongs to them. I’ll be glad to start making payments if nobody steps up.

Comment

Even early cars had dry type filters. I believe this one was on a '30s era Plymouth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1860946
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

These are the air filters installed on 1928-1940 Studebaker Sixes.
                          Type A through E are dry type.
                          If anyone happens upon a Type A, part# 176257 that is correct for the Rockne '65' or Rockne '10', give me a holler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1860951
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Based upon a picture in my MoToR’s manual covering 1935 to 1942 automobiles, it looks to be made by Burgess, albeit without the “silencer” chamber, which makes sense for a truck. Especially a truck with limited engine space like a cab-over!

Comment

Yup, “TYPE I” in rockne10’s illustration is the same as the photo that my MoToR’s manual
                              identifies as a Burgess.
                              Last edited by skyway; 10-14-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X