Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1860370Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_190651.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1860371

no. ..........

Comment

They CAN be, it's a very good chance they WILL clear the Stock Bendix/Dunlap Caliper since it does say: "April 1963".

Many people like studefan are under the false impression that only the Kelsey Hayes "Double Hump" 1964 and later wheels will clear, but the Budd Wheels were also made to clear in '63.

The Problem is, the '63 Disc Wheels all LOOK the same, as the '59 to '62 Wheels for Drum Brakes and only differ by the Offset, you will have to test fit to see that, YES they do have a Bit less clearance than the Double Hump Wheels, but DO work.

Are they actually DESIGNED to handle the increased stress of a constantly "Flexing", wider Profile, larger footprint, Radial Tire not available on new US Cars until 1976... NO.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-10-2020, 07:07 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I was looking to keep one for spare tire in trunk. I have Turner brakes and custom rims and need a spare tire that will fit over the calipers. I found five of these while cleaning out my dad's horde of rims. I was hoping to find out without trial fitting. No such luck.
        Last edited by Son O Lark; 10-10-2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Rich, it looks like you are answering the general question, "will they work'? I suppose they might as well as others. I was stating that they aren't factory 63/64 disc brake wheels. Double hump wheels were available in 63'.

Comment

Not really, I am saying they were made to fit Discs and DO work.
            The "Drum Brake Wheels" will hit the Crossover Pipes.

And so were the Budd Wheels like these with better backside offset than those for Drums, even Avantis have them in the 5 Inch Width, all obviously for Discs.
            StudeRich

Comment

Per the parts book: The double-hump wheels were used on 1963 disc brake cars only. The drum-brake cars got the same wheels as previous years. In 1964, all cars got new wheels that would work with both disc and drum brakes. These LOOK like the earlier style non-double-hump wheels, but have enough clearance to fit over the disc hardware. It's hard to tell them apart with a tire on. But the Budd part number on the inside of the rim and/or the date IDs them.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Exactly, almost.
                On actual Cars, BOTH Budd (Smooth) and Kelsey Hayes (Double Hump) for Disc. Brakes Wheels were Factory installed on '63 Studes.

Most First Series '64's (USA) have Kelsey Wheels.

Regardless of all that, the bottom line still is, use the Stude. Wheels that do not hit and give adequate clearance or use Ford, Chrysler or Aftermarket wheels for Disc. Brakes.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 10-11-2020, 05:32 PM.
                StudeRich

Comment

Best way is to put the wheel on the front and tighten it up. Th red wheel, I doubt is the same as the bare wheel. the valve stem on the red wheel is the bigger sizes which is 50's..

Just my observation from the picture.

Comment

Working...
                  X