Questions about 1927 & 1922

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 1927 & 1922

New Member thanks for adding me,lots of questions.
    1927 Studebaker Doctors coupe
    1) Where is the body identification tag ?
    2) EU or EUU ?
    3) Is there more than one identification on the frame ?
    4) Were there more then one size hub caps for this car ?
    5) Does anyone know where I can get side irons ? (right and left )

1922 Studebaker Special Touring

1) Anyone know how many were built ?
    2) Where are the id. tags ?
    3) Carburetor factory experiment for new carb. ? What year ?
    4) What year did they change from wooden spokes to solid wheels ?
    Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Rayin Canada; 09-26-2020, 02:31 PM.

Welcome to the Forum, Ray.
    You may want to edit your posting title to attract people knowledgeable with the '22 and '27 models. Just the word "Questions" as a title will soon get lost if it does not receive responses.
    I have a '33, but don't know if the body tag is in the same location. Mine is under the hood, on the side of the cowl close to the drivers side running board.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Richard Quinn is the number one resource for Pre War Studebaker questions. He owns some and was the Antique Studebaker Club newsletter editor for several years. I think his handle here is Studebaker Wheel.

One of our chapter members has a 1923 Light Six Touring. Really a neat car. Fires right up. Lou is a retired mechanic. He has worked with several orphan pre war makes and can do anything possible to repair any car.

Bob Miles

Comment

Thank you for the information

Comment

The serial plates are in the same spot, outside Left frame rail, near the steering gear. The body tags are near the left front body mount/ lower cowl.
            Steel wheels were optional. a 22 could have had Wood wheels, or the optional steel 'safety disc wheels'. Wood wheels depended on the model in later years..

An additional 'Secret serial number' is stamped on the Left frame rail, underside, about even with the door opening.

Not sure about your other questions without more specifics.

Comment

Thank you very help full info

Comment

The 1927 model EU series was introduced as a model called the Standard Six during the last days of June 1926, South Bend serials starting with 1346101 and Canada 1954401. At serial #1397595 on July 11, 1927 the name was changed from Standard Six to Dictator. There were no changes in the actual car either styling or mechanicals. Production continued on this series until Sept 1927. A total of 63,456 were assemble in the South Bend plant and another 1,877 in Walkerville (total all 65,333). Specific data in illustration below. There are no production figures by body type. It was Studebaker's economy car behind the larger Presidents and Commanders. Only the Continental powered Erskine was cheaper. You state your car is a doctors coupe. Studebaker never used this terminology. They did have both a 2-passenger coupe with trunk or 4-passenger with rumble seat. You mention "side irons" I assume you are referring to the landau irons? If so the car is not a coupe but a Victoria that has a two passenger rear seat (see image below with my girlfriend Mona). As for finding a pair just go to your local Studebaker dealer. Seriously I think that finding them is quite a remote possibility. As for the location of the body number it was on the engine side of the firewall passengers side. It would start with EU (the model designation) followed by a letter that indicates the body type. "W" was a four door sedan, "Q" a coupe, a Victoria was a "C" etc. Yes, the serial number is on a plate attached to the frame under the left front fender. I have lots more data, factory photos, advertising, mechanical specs etc. I would strongly recommend you get the July/August 1998 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review and the August 2007 issue of Turning Wheels. These both have features on the model EU.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 09-27-2020, 03:32 AM.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you for the information

Comment

With re to the Special Six the '22 series were designated as the model EL. The original carb was a Stromberg LS-2 plain tube type. I am not aware of any experimental carbs used on this series (may I inquire as to where you got that idea?). The larger Big Six models (EK) used a Penberthy Ball & Ball and I believe it would interchange with the aforementioned Stromberg but so far as I know it was never used as original equipment on the model EL Special Six. I would recommend you contact my friend Rick Peterson in California as he has "hands on" experience with these cars (studertp@ pacbell.net). As a matter of curiosity what criteria are you using to identify these cars (including the EU)? I have not seen photos of either and am wondering if you have identified them correctly. I have lots of information including, owners manuals, service information, sales material, original glossy factory photos and lots more. Most of it could be reproduced for a fee. What I cannot do is estimate a value of the cars. Way too many variables to even come up with a close estimate so I simply do not do that. Best of luck with your cars. My direct email is rtq11@aol.com if you have further questions or wish to forward photos. Cordially, Richard Quinn
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

One way to help identify the year of a Studebaker is the casting date codes on the engine (assuming it is the original engine). The casting date code consists of month, date, and year. The year code is as follows:
                      YEAR CODE vs. YEAR—1922—1946
                      22 23 24 ? F G H I J K L M
                      ‘22 ‘23 ‘24 ‘25 ‘26 ‘27 ‘28 ‘29 ‘30 ‘31 ‘32 ‘33
                      For the preceding chart the year code is the top row and the year of the casting is the bottom row. For a 1922 Studebaker the year code is (guess what?): "22". For a 1927 car the year code is "G". For L-head 6- & 8-cylinder Studebaker engines the casting date code "plate" is near the distributor for the block and approximately in the center for the head. This casting date code "plate" (of course) is cast into the casting, but looks like a plate. That's because it was a plate placed in the mold. This "plate" probably will have what looks like a screw head on either end, with numbers & a letter in between. Example for a 1922 engine casting date code: "6 29 22" (meaning June 29, 1922). Example for a 1927: "2 21 G", meaning Feb. 21 1927.

I have these casting date codes for all years from 1922 to 1964. I am seeking data for years 1925 and earlier Studebaker engines.
                      --Dwight

Comment

Good job Dwight. I published this information in the Antique Studebaker Review, July/August 2009, but only for the 1942 and earlier vehicles (see two images below). Worth noting, I think, that Studebaker used the same dating procedure for the cylinder heads. The 1925's used an "E" prefix by the way. A question for you, in the post war period in what year did the start over with letter "A"?
                        Attached Files
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

The Studebaker foundry used up the alphabet in 1946 (with Z) and began again with A in 1947. Note that, although Studebaker used all 26 letters the first time through the alphabet, they skipped the I and Q the second time around. Apparently, this was because of their similarity to other letters. I would speculate that they started with E in 1925, rather than A, to simplify doing-it-in-your-head counting. That is, E is the fifth letter in the alphabet, for the fifth year of the 1920s. Of course, this trick broke down after 1929. So, perhaps, they should have started with A in 1925.

I have a lengthy writeup of all these date codes and have planned to look into posting it on the SDC webpage and/or Bob Johnstone's webpage. Just am tied up in several legal issues now (due to wife's death in 2019).
                          --Dwight

Postscript:
                          Studebaker also cast manifolds and bellhousings with a date code located as follows (for 1951-up V8s);
                          Block: top, far rear (just forward of bellhousing) for 1953-64 (at top front for 1951-2).
                          Heads: in center, under valve cover (often partly or fully machined off)
                          Intake manifold: on top rear (often underneath)
                          Exhaust & water manifolds: on back (inside) side
                          Bellhousing: on rear (near transmission mounting flange), either outside or inside
                          Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 09-29-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X