New Studebaker Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Studebaker Owner

Well, I just bought my brothers 58 President Starlight Hardtop. I have been helping him get his other cars running- 1956 Golden Hawk, 1964 GT Hawk, 1956 Packard 400. The 58 President has been sitting for about 15 years. It does not run at this time, Has broken rear window and front windshield, but the car is complete. I cant wait to getting started to get it back on the road.

Welcome to the Forum Ernie! A '58 President hardtop is a cool car! (Had a chance about 20 years ago to buy a good driving '58 Commander hardtop that had a Avanti R1 engine swapped into - still kick myself for not buying that!)

There is a Forum member (Jaybird I think is his forum name) who is restoring a '58 President hardtop, and has posted quite a bit of progress updates.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I believe that the rear window will be your biggest problem. Good luck with the nice car.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Lucky you that’s a great looking car.

Comment

Interesting crankcase breather. Click image for larger version

Name:	breather.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1858200
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Interesting crankcase breather. Click image for larger version  Name:	breather.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	1858200
            Might be some type of California positive crankcase ventilation retrofit from the '60s or '70s??
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Might be some type of California positive crankcase ventilation retrofit from the '60s or '70s??
              Very possible. When I bought my '67 LeMans in 1987, it was the tail end of the "let's retrofit old cars" mandate in California and the dealer had to put a NoX kit on the carb. Two years later, California did away with the requirement to retrofit older pre-emissions vehicles, recognizing that attrition made it statistically impossible for them to meaninfully contribute to air quality issues. (I ripped that tubing off the minute I got the car home!)

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My brother bought the car with the engine piled in the trunk. The previous owner had to get rid of a bunch of cars and parts. So my brother bought for $350, we took it home and laid out all the engine parts and it looked like everything was there so we started to put the puzzle back together. We had a valve job done on the heads, it ran to sweet when we got it running. Well my brother didn't do much to it other than drive it. His work got so busy and when he had any vacation time he traveled a lot, so not alot of work was done on the car, he had parked with a car cover on it and I guess the hot sun beating down on it broke the rear window. But the good news is he says he has a good rear window and front windsheild stored in the rafters of the garage. I still half to find them to be sure. I know it has the posi rear end and has the crank up antenna too. The wiring doesn't look too bad. The carb linkage is stuck, but a carb rebuild should fix that . Of course I have to check the Brakes, clean out the gas tank, and get new wide whitewall tires! I have been having fun getting his other cars running ,so this will be more fun since its mine. This car fits in with other two cars witch I never see other like them at car shows. I have a 48 Plymouth 2dr Sedan and a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Hardtop.

Comment

Working...
                X