Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A shot in the dark... (Searching for a specific truck)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shot in the dark... (Searching for a specific truck)

Howdy Folks,

Kind of a long shot, but I know these groups can be pretty tight knit.

I'm hoping to find some recent info or location on an old Stude' tow truck. It originally belonged to my great grandfather, Carl N. Lollis, who owned a small Studebaker/AMC autoshop and wrecker service for decades outside Altus, OK. He passed away in the early 2000s and most of his stuff was sold off by my grandparents after we had all picked what we wanted.

His two wrecker trucks were sold to "John Brooks" (of "StudebakerFarm.com") in Weatherford, TX. Where they sat for years and were then possibly moved down to Hamilton, TX....? Mr. Brooks apparently passed away in 2016 and the trail seems to run cold from there.

Attached are some pictures, one is from when it was still parked in his old shop and the rest I managed to find on flickr.

Hopefully someone here is familiar with either this truck, it's most recently known owner or possibly where it might have gone since. At the very least, maybe someone can give me the year of manufacture and/or model name?

My mother (the original owner's grand daughter) is on the doorstep of retirement within the next year. She and my father just bought some property in a small town here in north TX. I think they'd be absolutely floored if my brother and I could somehow manage to get ahold of this thing (or what's left of it) as a gift to have around. Especially my mother, who grew up along side her parents and grandparentsoutside of town.

I'd really appreciate any help y'all can give!

That's an amazing old wrecker.
    I have no information to help you but, can certainly see why you would like to get it back.
    I hope someone can help you out.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I love the address "6 miles east of Altus". A real small town address.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It MAY be a '49 to '53 "R" Series Truck, based on the Grille, and Windshield but it has a '55 Hood and '57-'64 "C" Cab Doors or just the Rain Visors & "V" Stainless Steel Mouldings used for a Two Tone Paint Line on those years.

The V8 on the Hood May or May not, mean it was converted from a Commander 245 6 Cyl. to a Stude. V8.
        The only thing we can say for sure, without the Serial Number, is that it is a "C" Cab Truck.

If your family finds any Old Documents like Insurance Policies, or Vehicle Registration Cards, Title etc. with the Serial Number and you post it here, we would know the exact Year and Model.

There is a Very strong possibility that it DID have an Engine Change, since in addition to the '55 Hood with the V8, it ALSO has a V8 Emblem on the Cab from a Ford!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the help so far!

I know my maternal grandmother still has a ton of old paperwork that belonged to her parents. I'll see if she still has anything about any of his vehicles.

Comment

I am not a truck expert, I have only owned four Studebaker trucks. Hopefully, Skip or someone else that knows more than I about these will chime in.
            To me the truck is confusing because it appears to be made of different parts. In general, grille and windshield, it appears to be a 1949-1953 2R, but the V8 and the door trim would indicate a truck of the late '50s.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For years I advertised in TW looking for a Studie that had been sold new by my father's dealership......and one finally showed up! Keep trying.....
              Attached Files
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

It's a 2R16 or 17, with some later trim and stuff added. There's a second thread on this same subject in which Rich notes the changes.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe Larry Brooks, John’s brother, is still living in the Weatherford area and would probably have an idea. The excess vehicles were auctioned off so there is probably a list of vehicles sold by that company. Good luck.

Comment

I remember the truck well. You might contact Doug Atchely in Evant. He was helping with John's stuff and may have it, or know of it's where abouts. You might also contact Mark Frank in Lorena and Mark Bryant in Belton.

Bo
                    Bo

Comment

Awesome.

Thanks for the leads fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                        I remember the truck well. You might contact Doug Atchely in Evant. He was helping with John's stuff and may have it, or know of it's where abouts. You might also contact Mark Frank in Lorena and Mark Bryant in Belton.

Bo
                        You wouldnt happen to have contact info for any of the above, would you?

I've found addresses for most, but I cant seem to pin down Mark Bryant. His name does show up on this site every so often though.

Comment

Originally posted by AGreenSmudge View Post

You wouldnt happen to have contact info for any of the above, would you?

I've found addresses for most, but I cant seem to pin down Mark Bryant. His name does show up on this site every so often though.
                          Mark Brians of Belton is also the president of the Central Texas Chapter, so that will help. Another possible contact is Barry Hackney of Houston. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

Mark Brians of Belton is also the president of the Central Texas Chapter, so that will help. Another possible contact is Barry Hackney of Houston. Good luck
                            Thanks for the info!

Comment

Spoke to Mark Frank today. He said he remembers an R-series wrecker at the auction, but does not remember who it was sold to. It does not seem to be anyone of the above named. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X