55 sedan hood latch paint originally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 sedan hood latch paint originally

Refurbishing the hood latch on my 55 sedan project. When disassembled and cleaned up it appears to be stainless steel or similar material. It is magnetic. It can be painted without painting the sliding surfaces. But was wondering how it came from the factory. Mine was spray can painted over crud and grease

Merwin, my '55 sedan hood latch appears to have been painted black from the factory. Do you see any sign on yours that there may have been another color under the spray paint?
    On mine it appears that all the sheet metal surrounding the latch, including the radiator were all the same black when it left the factory. That being said, I do know that the exterior of my car was repainted close to the original two tone colors about 20 years ago. Nothing under the hood looks to have been painted at that time. I know there are some other '55 sedan owners on this forum who may be able to weigh in on this as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

On my '54 sedan, the latch assembly is dull cadium (zinc?) plated. The various Hawks that I have are plated the same way.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The only painted hood latches I have ever seen were on "restorations" or repaints.

All the original latches I have seen were plated and were steel color.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks, good info always

Comment

I had mine cadmium plated here in Tulsa.
            Charlie D.
            Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm what others have posted. Our 55 Sedan was originally cadmium plated.
              1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

I think Eastwood has a spray paint in a can that looks like plating when dry.

Comment

Working...
                X