• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 lark ID help please

My son just brought home a 62 lark
    cowl tag is 62s-y6 3105
    vin (serial) # on ownership is 62sc3186
    Vin (serial)# plate is not on the door post.
    Could someone please decode this for me please
    It is a four door car.
    6 cylinder automatic

A few other things I find odd
    It has an automatic transmission and a overdrive handle on the dash (I believe trans was changed)
    The steering column has been change also to auto shift.
    Small brake peddle ( maybe 4" wide)
    Has split bench seats but the back of the seat tip forward .
    Is this right or are these seats out of a two door car?
    Any information about this car would be greatly apricated.

From a distance I'd say originally a 6 cyl. car. Y 6 indicates a 4 door sedan. I guess they removed the clutch pedal but left the brake pedal from the stick set up. '62 SC would indicate Canadian 6 cyl. car. Depending on what you are planning for the car you may want the production order from the museum.As for the split bench do you mean just the backs or individual split seats but not buckets? You might also check for a tag on the rear to see what ratio you have and determine which way you want to build it -stick or auto.I have the correct pedal sets and columns whichever way you choose if you need them.Good luck!
    Rob in PA.

Comment

Body number:
      62 = 1962
      S = 6-cylinder
      Y = Cruiser (long wheelbase 4-door sedan)
      6 = Trim level
      3105 = 3,105th 62S-Y body shell welded together

Serial number:
      62 = 1962
      S = 6-cylinder
      C = Canadian-built (Hamilton ON)
      3186 = 2,186th 62SC assembled

I believe the serial number plate should be attached on the left front door post near the door hinges.

If the serial number plate is missing, there is another way to verify the number. Purchase a copy of the car's production order from the Studebaker National Museum. This contains both the serial number and body number. Order using the serial number. The production order also has lots of information on how the car was equipped when built.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

Rear end 41-10
        Front seats are two separate seats that touch in the middle but are not buckets (no room for consul)
        Yes the vin. was attached to front left post just above hinge you can see the square but it is no longer there.
        Will order the production order today.
        Can't get my head around the front seats tipping forward in a four door car.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick Brazier View Post
          Can't get my head around the front seats tipping forward in a four door car.
          Possibly fully reclining as well?

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

This 62S-Y6 4 Door is a "Regal" Trim Level, built in Canada with a 6 Cyl. and may have the very commonly ordered, Split Bench Seat with Recliners, a very comfortable feature, so the passenger can have different legroom than the Driver.
            Heads Rests were another Option sometimes ordered.

Correction needed here:

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
            Body number:
            62 = 1962
            S = 6-cylinder
            Y = Cruiser (long wheelbase 4-door sedan) Y = Long Wheelbase Sedan (113") as all '62 4 Doors.
            6 = Trim level = Regal
            3105 = 3,105th 62S-Y6 body shell welded together
            Last edited by StudeRich; 09-21-2020, 12:57 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I agree with Rich (as usual). The Y6 is a Regal four door sedan and a Cruiser would be a Y8 (only available outside US with six).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Derrick; there is Another Serial Number Verification (Proof) besides matching the Production Order info to the Engine and Body Numbers on the Car to the correct "Car" Serial Number.

You can look at the rearmost Crossmember just forward of the Rear Bumper, on the outer, rear Flange, sometimes near Center, others to the Left, and find the "hidden" Car Serial Number Stamping, less the 62SC.
                It may require some cleaning, wire brushing etc. to read.

If your Car has a Body Tag with all the Data on ONE Tag, like this one, it COULD have had a Body Change to a USA (South Bend) Built Body!

If they had No Title for that Body, it would make sense to remove the Serial Number Plate, ... Click image for larger version  Name:	Regal 4 Door Blu8c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	1857518 just a random thought.
                This one says: 62V-Y6 with the Number 3793 UNDER it, a South Bend, V8 '62 Regal 4 Door.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-21-2020, 01:28 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Besides all of the information provided above, I would be concerned with the lack of a Serial Number plate. This could be a problem with ownership/titling/registration/inspection in some governmental agencies. I am assuming that by "Ontario" you mean Canada and not California. I am not familiar with any Canadian laws, let alone those local to you.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Derrick,

I remember you showed up at an Ontario meet in about 1980 with a plum-coloured 1966 which you thought might be the last.

If this car is going to be restored, I probably have most parts you need.

Glad to see your son is interested.

Paul

Comment

Studrich
                      That part of the frame is very in very poor shape . Nothing is visible number wise.
                      The car did come with an up to date ownership and was plated in the recent past.
                      I think the last owner took the serial number plate off when he removed the front clip and rear fenders and took out the interior .
                      Paul
                      1980 I had a 1951 Landcruiser ,still do
                      In the late 80's We picked up a 64 Daytona never done any thing with it But did get a rebuilt 6cyl from Earl Randell . Still have it It sits on a frame and I run it a couple of times a year.
                      I always liked Earl's white cruiser with blue top.

Comment

I am thinking that those body number tags were switched from a Canadian built car (that matches the Serial Number that you have) to a different body (the one now on the car). That would be a reason that the Serial Number plate was removed and also why the body number tags do not match the car.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                        X