Studebaker Can that I can't identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Can that I can't identify

I have this can in my collection but I've never seen a Studebaker can with this orange paper label. Can anyone identify or tell me more about it? Maybe military use?
    Chris
    Attached Files

Aside from the unfamiliar label, what is 'Rear Axle Lubricant'? I thought the gear lubricant used in the differential housing was the only lubricant used. Also, does the lubricant in the can pour out or is it applied with a provided brush?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It evedently pours out.
      I've checked that part number and can't find it anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Aside from the unfamiliar label, what is 'Rear Axle Lubricant'? I thought the gear lubricant used in the differential housing was the only lubricant used. Also, does the lubricant in the can pour out or is it applied with a provided brush?
        It could be Twin Traction lubricant.

Craig

Comment

Agree with Craig.
          1. The TT axles required an additive that was not previously available or used.
          2. The non-standard label shows it was hastily prepared to satisfy an immediate need.
          3. The fact that it says S-P shows it's from the right time period (1956).
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Sort of along the same lines, but not quite the same as that neat can Chris has, here is an odd Twin Traction lubricant can. Paper label, the part number/contents sort of 'typed' into an open area, no writing or info on back of can, and in a paint-lid style can. Either early Twin Traction lubricant before nice painted cans could be made, or since it's an Imperial quart, maybe Studebaker didn't want to spend the money for fancy painted Imperial quart cans?? Pics follow, click on the thumbnails a couple of times to bring up larger images.
            Anyone else have a can with a label like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05827.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1857024Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05826.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1857025Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05824.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1857026Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05825.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1857027
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Padrechris View Post
              I have this can in my collection but I've never seen a Studebaker can with this orange paper label. Can anyone identify or tell me more about it? Maybe military use?
              Chris
              The can is from 1954 - 1962. If it is for Twin Traction, then it is probably from 1955 (for 1956 trucks and Packards) - 1962.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Padrechris View Post
                Chris
                Part Number 1543??? ... WHAT?

A Late 1955 or Early 1956 Issue of probably a Quart of what later became SP-50136, Twin Traction Lubricant, for Limited Slip Differentials only.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Part Number 1543??? ... WHAT?

A Late 1955 or Early 1956 Issue of probably a Quart of what later became SP-50136, Twin Traction Lubricant, for Limited Slip Differentials only.
                  It could be a Studebaker-Packard Service Department only item not intended to be seen or sold to the public, hence the plain to-the-point, no nonsense writing without the fancy graphics on it. The public would be sold the SP-50136 labeled product, I suspect.

Craig

Comment

Thanks to all.
                    Chris

Comment

Peal the label off the can and see what is under it!
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

No, that would ruin the label.

Comment

It probably just says "Kendall Oil Co." or maybe Pennzoil etc. unless it says Dana Spicer.
                          Studebaker used the Good 'Ol Kendall Oil in Penn. for the Steering Gear Lube and other Lubrication Products used at the Factories.
                          That would be except where they used the "Lubriplate", Barrels of it!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X