Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    That is a great story Ross, I love hearing these kind of Stude. History stories. The Warren and Day connection is very connected to this story about the Car I watched win it's class at the Winter Nationals.
    Most Studebaker people are the most dedicated, involved people you would ever want to meet as were both of your Car's owners.

Leave a comment:

• R_David
    replied
    Not to resurrect a really old thread yet again , but I just talked to the son of the original owner of my hawk on the phone. He says that his Mom (Grace McGarrigle) and Dad both worked at Warren and Day Studebaker right up until they closed. And that his mom was so proud to be able to buy her 61 Studebaker Hawk (now mine). He said she was the office manager there at Warren and Day and that his dad was the service manager there. They are both long gone, but I sure made his day talking to him on the phone about his mom's car. I promised to send him pictures via snail mail. He is 84 years old and not on the internet. You should have heard his voice when I told him I was calling to see if he knew anything about this old Studebaker with his Mom's name on the dash, he was amazed that I was able to track him down. He even called me back a few hours later to talk to me some more about it. And to promise that if I ever wanted to sell it I would call him first.

Leave a comment:

• lightinglark956
    replied
    anyone have any idea what happened to the memorial trophy ? was a half piston wall trophy that had a base added to it with 10 name plates .memorial race was set up for 10 yrs and winner was to have his info engraved I would love to find that trophy any ideas or recollections of where it might be pls contact me at lightinglark956@yahoo.com thank you pat Williams

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Thanks for posting this neat bit of info, since I was in the navy and station in Long Beach back then I remember a lot of cruising and street racing, I didn't have ride back then so just enjoyed it when I could, in 61 when I came back from over seas I was on the USS Yorktown and saved a little money to buy a car, remember looking at and driving a 57 commander 2 door sedan but for some odd reason I did not buy it ( sure wish I had) but got a 55 Pontiac and that turned out to be the wrong move but that's a different story. thanks again for bringing this up I missed it before...Bob

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by studeken View Post
    Just a couple of notes abt. the Gordon Williams '63 Lark. I was always under the impression that both this car and his wife Jerry's 63 cruiser were ordered at the same time from Warren and Day and they picked up both from the factory. Gordon had specifically ordered the std SANS undercoating to keep weight down, but since Studebaker always gave more than they promised, and he was such a good customer, they undercoated it FOR FREE! Ken Pyle
    Hello, Jim Cassidy, and welcome to the forum...and having dug up this topic from two years ago! Good memories, and glad you are paying it back, helping younger guys get involved. (Geeze, at 47, you are one of the younger guys! <GGG>)

By way of additional information, Ken Pyle's recollection, above, is correct: Gordon and his wife ordered their '63s together, picked them up in South Bend, and drove them back to southern California.

Now here's an item that hasn't been mentioned yet: Today (February 2011), Studebaker parts vendor Ed Reynolds owns Gordon's wife's 1963 Cruiser. It is stored inside at Studebaker International in Greenfield IN.

The car's original Blue Mist was covered with a poor-quality white repaint years ago, much of which is flaking off. The car needs a complete restoration but is not especially rusty and is indeed documented, by Serial Number, to have been the car Gordon's wife picked up and drove back to California when Gordon picked up his R1/heavy-duty Flightomatic 1963 Standard. BP

Leave a comment:

• meneep
    replied
    I know this is an old thread, and I am not sure exactly how I found it but, I see the mention of Rich Childers and thought I might share a little story.
    When I was a kid growing up in Simi Valley California, there was a guy that lived at the end of my street (Sawyer Ave) that had this very cool, very loud red Lark. As a kid, I was facinated by the cars attitude. It was bright, loud, and looked really fast.
    I remember riding my bicycle by and looking at it any time the garage was left open. The guy that owned the car, Rich, I think was amused by the little kid that thought his car was so cool.
    And, in fact, one time actually walked down the street and talked to my Dad about me.
    That conversation turned into me getting to ride to Irwindale raceway with Rich and watch drag racing for my very first time!
    I am 47 years old now and still remember that day! From riding in the Dodge (A-100?) flat towing the Lark, to be givien paper and pencil to record what the other cars were running, to being treated to McDonalds on the drive home. that day stuck with me!

Its influence has kept me drag racing my entire life! Brusa, NHRA, NHRDA, AHRA, doesnt matter, I race anytime I can!
    I remember Rich moving to Moorpark(?) and my friend Brian and I running into him at the store a couple tiimes in the years after that.
    Always think back on that trip to Irwindale Raceway.

Now to try to do for others what Rich did for me, I actually teach a little drag racing course with some friends at Bremerton Raceway. We call it Drag Racing 101! lol
    Anyway, thats my Rich Childers story, hope it entertains you in someway!

Jim Cassidy
    Olympia, Wash
    Last edited by meneep; 02-22-2011, 04:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    Growing up in Pomona, I attended the Winternationals in the '60's as a teenager. I could not believe some guy in a Studebaker would drive in, uncork the headers and whip everyone. He corked the headers and drove home. Before I was a Studebaker fan, I was suprized by a guy, with one arm out the window, driving away from all the popular cars of the day.

Thanks for all the information about this interesting person and his car.

Leave a comment:

• 63larkr1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• studeken
    replied
    Rich Childers- I've had that name on the tip of my tongue for about 35 years now. Thanks SO much. If I ever get up that way will you let me see the car again? It'd be like goin' home. Thanx again, Rich KP

Ken Pyle

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    Very cool story, and thanks for taking the time to come share with us on the forum Rich.

And how cool of you Nick to make the CALL, (I remember your post)
    Sometimes that's all it takes, a call, an email and now we know the story.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=32185

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Thanks very much Rich. for putting to an end, all the rumors, guesses and hearsay concerning this wonderful race car!

When I was still in the South Bay area: Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hawthorne etc. I belonged to the Orange Empire Chapter of SDC and we were the ones that started the Annual Gordon Williams memorial Drag Race, I THINK it was at Erwindale. Unfortunately it lasted only 2 or 3 years I think, but we had a lot of fun remembering Gordon and racing our Studes.

When Gordon and I raced together one time at Lyons, I think (he rarely went there) he told me about how his tune-up experience at the Stude. Dealer in Ontario taught him many tricks about improving the advance curve in the Prestolite dual point Dist. and he offered to do mine, but we never got together to do that, he was a Great guy, the best! [^]

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Clem64
    replied
    Thanks Rich for taking the time to give us that great and inspiring high performance Studebaker history[8D].

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE

Leave a comment:

• laughinlark
    replied
    Wow, What a cool read. I felt my muscles flex, my game face came on. The only things missing were the sound and smell.[:0] Thanks so much for the post.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Great story, Rich. Made my day. [8D]

Welcome to the Forum.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Just a great story [8D].