1955 Packard Torsion Bar Suspension - Article and Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Packard Torsion Bar Suspension - Article and Video

This was in today's Hagerty News online. Very interesting video. Enjoy.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/...wsletter_NewDD
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Thank's i enjoyed it.

Comment

"Jay Leno's Garage" had the BEST Studebaker/Packard Video ever, it's 27 Minutes long ALL about his '55 Caribbean Convertible's Torsion Bar Suspension. I watched it yesterday, but I have NO idea how I got there.

UPDATE: found it, it was from here:
      https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-leno-s-garage
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I liked the Leno video as well. He did get some facts wrong, for instance, he said that the Clipper model in '56 did not come with the self leveling torsion bar suspension. Having owned a '56 Packard Clipper years ago I can attest to the fact that it DID have that. Those were wonderful cars and watching Jay cruise around in his made me wish I still had mine. I think the Hagerty video from the period has a much better description of how the torsion bar system worked.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
          I liked the Leno video as well. He did get some facts wrong, for instance, he said that the Clipper model in '56 did not come with the self leveling torsion bar suspension. Having owned a '56 Packard Clipper years ago I can attest to the fact that it DID have that. Those were wonderful cars and watching Jay cruise around in his made me wish I still had mine. I think the Hagerty video from the period has a much better description of how the torsion bar system worked.
          Technically, in 1956 the Clipper was a separate make from Packard.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studegary,
            I had not heard that before. My Clipper had all Packard parts and was badged "Packard". What made it a separate make?
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              Studegary,
              I had not heard that before. My Clipper had all Packard parts and was badged "Packard". What made it a separate make?
              Someone else can look it up, but I thought that the Clippers had "Clipper" on the front fender and Packards had "Packard" on the rear quarter for 1956. Clippers had different side trim and grilles from Packards. Clipper was the lower priced car and more of them were built than Packards (1956). It is about four decades since I worked on any or had them sitting in my yard. Bob P. is more of an authority on these, perhaps he will chime in or Craig can give some reference.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe I have read that S-P started the 1956 model year with the Clipper being its own make, but during the model year it was again called a Packard.
                --Dwight

Comment

Lincoln did the same thing with Continental from 1956-57. The Mark II was a Continental, not a Lincoln.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                    I believe I have read that S-P started the 1956 model year with the Clipper being its own make, but during the model year it was again called a Packard.
                    --Dwight
                    Yes. In 1956, our next-door neighbor worked for the advertising agency that had the Packard account. He gave me some Packard and Clipper literature that announced that the Clipper was now a separate brand. As noted, Ford did that with the Continental, and I know that Chrysler did the same thing with the Imperial around the same time.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X