No announcement yet.

Studebaker and IH truck merger????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both a Starlight '50 Champion in resto and a 1210 3/4 Ton IH '72 PU, running. THis PU considered IH Light Truck is very rare, so where are the 30% market share ? With the IH Travelall and the Scouts they where the first brand with a forerunner of the SUV fad, already in the '70. But somehow they missed out!

Comment

I have both brands: Starlight '50 Champion still in complete resto and IH 1210 3/4 Ton PU 1972 running. Stopped building the so called "Lite Trucks" in 1974. This PU IH is very rare so I dont think IH had 30% of PU market in the '70!

Comment

I drove a Nissan powered Terra as a company car one winter near Chicago.
        I guess you could tell I was the low man on the totem pole because NOBODY wanted to drive that miserable cold blooded hard starting SOB that never got cabin heat worth a hoot...

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        And the Scout Traveler shared its body with the Scout Terra, which was a longer wheelbase pickup than the Scout II pickup (which the Terra replaced). The Scout Terra was available with a Nissan diesel engine, making it the first mid-size pickup to be available with a diesel engine in the United States.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          I drove a Nissan powered Terra as a company car one winter near Chicago.
          I guess you could tell I was the low man on the totem pole because NOBODY wanted to drive that miserable cold blooded hard starting SOB that never got cabin heat worth a hoot...

So... was it a war on terra?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

So... was it a war on terra?
            Wow! That was a terrable joke, Roy.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              I drove a Nissan powered Terra as a company car one winter near Chicago. I guess you could tell I was the low man on the totem pole because NOBODY wanted to drive that miserable cold blooded hard starting SOB that never got cabin heat worth a hoot...
              For true, Jeff. It was a race to the bottom with the '70s Ford F150 with the Perkins diesel. Both were miserable, noisy, smelly, vibrating, underpowered POS.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                For true, Jeff. It was a race to the bottom with the '70s Ford F150 with the Perkins diesel. Both were miserable, noisy, smelly, vibrating, underpowered POS.
                Don't forget the 1978 Dodge Adventurer with the Mitsubishi 6DR5 diesel!!

Craig

Comment

Sorry, no Jennifer Aniston photos for this posting, but found an Onan generator/welder powered with an International Harvester V8 engine that was built during the time of Studebaker ownership and it is up for auction. Can anybody identify the model of IH engine? The valve covers fasten differently than the 304-392 V8s that I have seen.
                  https://www.postabid.com/cgi-bin/mml...postabid11/2/1

sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's a 549. Only used for industrial applications, so not seen regularly like a truck engine might be.

Comment

Note the reference on the Onan tag that Milaca posted - "Division of Studebaker Industries Inc". That is the first time I can remember seeing 'Studebaker Industries' uses. Usually it is Studebaker-Packard Corporation or Studebaker Corporation.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Growing up in Indiana, IH pickups and Travelalls were not uncommon on farms. My great uncle had both until he passed. Like Studebaker IH Trucks were made in Indiana, Ft. Wayne for IH, only 45mi. from my home town. We had an IH dealer in town (population 1,900 at the time) that was also a D/X gas station. Of course in those days (through the 1970s) we had a Chevey, Ford and Chrysler dealers! For Studebaker and IH the distance between the two plants (South Bend and Ft. Wayne) would have been a plus in any type of merger.

BTW we had a '64 1/2T IH pickup that was a beast! Had a 304 V8. Their engines were heavy but built to last forever, including their I6.
                        Last edited by Dan White; 09-26-2020, 07:48 AM.
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I'll add something that has no value to this conversation. Back in the 70's while working in an IHC truck/farm equipment dealership one of the owners asked me if I knew anything about the potential IHC and Peterbuilt truck merger. Of course I hadn't. He said the new truck was going to be called a Peterbinder

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                            Back in the 70's while working in an IHC truck/farm equipment dealership one of the owners asked me if I knew anything about the potential IHC and Peterbuilt truck merger.
                            There is no 'u' in Peterbilt, just as there's no 'e' in Flxible buses.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X