Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet paint! PYSTD (Paint Your Studebaker Truck Day) (Updated 9/25)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One never knows about some people. I have a habit of putting stuff to give away in the bed of my pickup and backing it up to the road next to my driveway, with a "FREE" sign on each taillight. One such day, late in the day, a man drove in my driveway and inquired about the "free truck." It turned out that all the items in the bed were already taken. Around here ANY truck would be worth much more than scrap value. Why would anyone give away a good running truck, to just anyone? Maybe I would give to NPR or the SPCA, etc., but not indiscriminately to anyone. Now I'm wary of putting my lawn mower out there with a for sale sign on it. I may have to chain it to the diff. of my truck.
    --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      I very nice looking truck for little cash (I assume).

I'd drive it!

Probably would want a door handle on the driver's side, though.
      If I consider the body panels from the grain truck as free and if I don't value my time spent on this, I have less than $300 invested in the pickup.
      The lack of an exterior door handle is a theft deterrent.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Those kind of trucks, built yourself from mostly inexpensive parts, are the most fun!
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Those kind of trucks, built yourself from mostly inexpensive parts, are the most fun!
          I agree, it's like I'm a kid again (back when I had no money and made-do with ingenuity and whatever else I had laying about).
          sigpic

Comment

Update 9/25: I began fabrication of the sideboards today. I had initially purchased 6" car siding, but found the boards to be too narrow for the router stencils. So I went to the local lumberyard today, and though their inventory on the computer showed they had no 8" car siding, they were able to scavenge some old 8" car siding that was collecting dust and had some areas of damage. I was able to piece enough good portions of the boards together for what you see in the photos.
            I also purchased an old railroad tie, cut it into four near equal pieces (shown in the bed). When I park the truck in its final resting place, I will jack it off the ground and place these blocks under it to keep it from sinking into the ground (and I wont need to be concerned about the tires losing air pressure).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7464.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1858242
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7465.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1858243
            sigpic