Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet paint! PYSTD (Paint Your Studebaker Truck Day) (Updated 9/25)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet paint! PYSTD (Paint Your Studebaker Truck Day) (Updated 9/25)

Back in July I paid scrap metal price for this wreck of a 1950 Studebaker from a friend as I wanted the bed from it. He had previously removed some good body panels from it for his own project, and wanted the rest of it off of his yard.
    After having it sit on my yard for a few weeks, I decided to replace the missing body panels with those from a grain truck that I have had rusting-away for twenty-plus years. My plan is to put signage on it for my forestry mulching business and park it out by the entrance of my driveway. I did not repair any rust, but I beat out some of the worst dents and sanded away many layers of paint until I got to a firm base, then brushed on Rustoleum primer a couple of weeks ago and have been awaiting warm weather since then (September 1st came and the weather instantly turned to Autumn).
    Today the sun came out (despite a haze of West coast wildfire smoke in the sky) and the temperature reached 70, so I sprayed a gallon of Horizon Green Rustoleum on it this afternoon. And the flying insects LOVE it!

As I got the truck:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7331.JPG Views:	324 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	1856321

The grain truck (which I had traded gravel to, it having belonged to my grandpa's best friend many years ago) after removing needed parts/panels:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7332.JPG Views:	296 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	1856322

Body panels reinstalled and in primer (Rustoleum primer made for adhering to rust). The grain truck bumper required new frame mounts.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7371.JPG Views:	290 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	1856323

And lastly, wet paint! In a few days, I will outline the grill and bumper with white paint and paint the wheel white also.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7376.JPG Views:	299 Size:	126.8 KB ID:	1856324

I'll add more photos when it is completed...
    Last edited by Milaca; 09-25-2020, 02:33 PM. Reason: Updated title
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Sweet, looks too good not to drive now!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Even though you may live in a rural area, be prepared to have visitors stopping by to see if you'd sell the truck. In fact, you might even need to chain it to the ground. Several years ago, down here, they arrested a father and son team using a rollback and tow dolly picking up broken down unattended cars and hauling them off to sell to a scrapyard. Back then, scrap prices were high.

Due to these crooks and other similar incidents, our laws changed so that to sell a car to a scrap yard, you have to have your driver's license recorded by the receiving scrap yard, picture taken, Vin number, and the title to the vehicle you are scrapping.

I like your choice of paint for the truck. Those standard Rustoleum colors have been around for years. So, as long as you remember which one you used, after a couple of years in the weather, you will not have problems buying more to refresh the paint. That's how I do my horse trailer and equipment trailers.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks great! You might think of adding those cool turn signals from the grain truck.

I painted one of my cars with Rustoleum so that it would fade and chalk in a few years and look like an old factory paint job.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Looks great! You might think of adding those cool turn signals from the grain truck.

I painted one of my cars with Rustoleum so that it would fade and chalk in a few years and look like an old factory paint job.
          Those lights were rusted in place, but with a 3/8 drill and a tin snips, I cut them out from the fenders. Now I have the bottom sides soaking in penetrating fluid in hopes of being able to remove the nuts, though it may require something acidic to dissolve the rust to break them free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7382.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1856367
          sigpic

Comment

Love the Rustoleum paint job and the rescue labor you put into this ole girl is a labor of love . This truck will put smiles on countless faces of people on their way to work in their new rubber automobiles that have no soul. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Indeed a great looking truck!
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                Did that work out like you wanted it to Roy?
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I'm loving it...looks great! cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Nice Job, neat Brent, but where the hell is Milaca?
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Did that work out like you wanted it to Roy?
                      Actually it did. It camouflaged the slight dents and looked like an old paint job.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Some of you may remember me using a roller to paint the 2R17 fire truck I got from Sharon Hall.
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Added the white Rustoleum paint detail today. I regret having not taken the time to weld a patch where the rust hole is in the hood, but I am done painting it now. The right turn signal plastic lenses were deteriorated so I squirted some white sealant into the arrow cutouts, then dabbed some yellow paint over it (yes, I know it looks sad). Next is to build some sideboards and then router my business name into them. The router stencils are due to arrive tomorrow.

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you in a Studebaker.

Name:	DSCF7426.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1857870

Name:	DSCF7427.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1857871
                          sigpic

Comment

A very nice looking truck for little cash (I assume).

I'd drive it!

Probably would want a door handle on the driver's side, though.
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-24-2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Even though you may live in a rural area, be prepared to have visitors stopping by to see if you'd sell the truck. In fact, you might even need to chain it to the ground. Several years ago, down here, they arrested a father and son team using a rollback and tow dolly picking up broken down unattended cars and hauling them off to sell to a scrapyard. Back then, scrap prices were high.

Due to these crooks and other similar incidents, our laws changed so that to sell a car to a scrap yard, you have to have your driver's license recorded by the receiving scrap yard, picture taken, Vin number, and the title to the vehicle you are scrapping.

I like your choice of paint for the truck. Those standard Rustoleum colors have been around for years. So, as long as you remember which one you used, after a couple of years in the weather, you will not have problems buying more to refresh the paint. That's how I do my horse trailer and equipment trailers.
                              After painting my '74 GMC I got like 10 or 15 people stop by asking to buy it as well as my '51, but there wasn't as much interest.

I don't want to sell either, but some of these sketchy guys keep coming up more than once.

I'm now going to lock my vehicles and install some kill switchs since there is one particular guy that worries me.

Anyways, if this guy ever sets foot on my property again, shits going down.

Comment

Working...
                              X