No announcement yet.

57 GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears that the smoothing also took the louvers out of the hood overlay.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes I seen that,also the park lights look to be to far forward for 57 ,look like 56 but I believe that it was very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Gorgeous car.

With all the other "smoothing", I wonder why he kept the front bumper guards? I usually remove those the first day I own a Stude. I began keeping them, because when the car was sold, I've had buyers berate me for removing them. Once I began saving them, I've had buyers refuse to take them and thank me for removing them. Your car, your money, your decision.

jack vines
        I stop on the way home after purchasing a Studebaker at the first parking lot and remove the bumper guards (ok, I'm exaggerating). The Hawk bumper guards look to me like a big appendage hanging off the front bumper and are not integrated with the lines of those beautiful cars. The 1962-66 Lark bumper guards, however, are a nice design and fit in well with the front end of the car. I assume those were the work of Brooks Stevens, although they may have been designed by Stude's own styling studio.

However, as an example of differing tastes, the previous owner of my '64 Hawk had his bumpers rechromed. Then, he found a front bumper with guards and had that rechromed and installed on the car. That's how much he liked the bumper guards. I took them off immediately To each his own.
        --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

I stop on the way home after purchasing a Studebaker at the first parking lot and remove the bumper guards (ok, I'm exaggerating). The Hawk bumper guards look to me like a big appendage hanging off the front bumper and are not integrated with the lines of those beautiful cars. The 1962-66 Lark bumper guards, however, are a nice design and fit in well with the front end of the car. I assume those were the work of Brooks Stevens, although they may have been designed by Stude's own styling studio.

However, as an example of differing tastes, the previous owner of my '64 Hawk had his bumpers rechromed. Then, he found a front bumper with guards and had that rechromed and installed on the car. That's how much he liked the bumper guards. I took them off immediately To each his own.
          --Dwight
          Bob Bourke designed bumpers that followed the line of the grille and the hood for the 1953 C/K bodies along with nice small bumperettes. They only lasted for 1953 and 1954 and then grew.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If memory serves 53 and 54 guards are different. Bumpers the same but not the guards or has my old brain gone soft. Well maybe both statements are correct.

Bill

Comment

Those little "bumperettes" on the '53s were a nice touch, and it's not surprising that they were designed by Bob Bourke. The huge 1954 bumper guards look to me like the 1955-64 C/K & Hawk bumper guards (except where they fit onto the smaller '54 bumper). Perhaps customers told Studebaker dealers in 1953 that they needed larger bumper guards and thus the much larger '54-64 guards were born.
              --Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                If memory serves 53 and 54 guards are different. Bumpers the same but not the guards or has my old brain gone soft. Well maybe both statements are correct.

Bill
                I believe that you are correct. I have owned '53, '54 & '55 C/K models, but my memory was off on this. Bob Bourke didn't want bumperettes, but when required to have them he came up with the stylish small ones. I guess that only held up for one model year. . 1953 sedan guards are larger than those for C/K models.
                Last edited by studegary; 09-15-2020, 10:33 AM. Reason: correction
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

There was no 53 wagon, so were they the same on the 54 wagon as those used on the C/K and the sedan?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    There was no 53 wagon, so were they the same on the 54 wagon as those used on the C/K and the sedan?
                    Yes, all '53 & '54 Studebaker automobiles, used the same bumpers. Although, they changed the guards for '54, and there was just one standard set of guards, that was used, for all models. But, they can all be interchanged, without any issues, and have been, in many instances.

Mark
                    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 09-20-2020, 12:20 PM.
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Well,I think we my have a deal. Now I need to find transport for AZ. To OR. At a reasonable rate, any one know of any?

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                        Yes, all '53 & '54 Studebaker automobiles, used the same bumpers. Although, they changed the guards for '54, and there was just one standard set of guards, that was used, for all models. But, they can all be interchanged, without any issues, and have been, in many instances.
                        Hamilton production used 1953 style guards for 1954. (Refer to page 148 in the Hall/Langworth book, The Studebaker Century.)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Hamilton production used 1953 style guards for 1954. (Refer to page 148 in the Hall/Langworth book, The Studebaker Century.)

Craig

Of course, your absolutely correct Craig, changes made at South bend, weren't always immediately implemented, in Hamilton. I believe Studebaker always tried to do, everything they could to minimize production costs. Perhaps that's why, they were able to hold on, for as long as they did?

Mark
                          Last edited by S2Deluxe; 09-20-2020, 11:03 PM.
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
                            Well,I think we my have a deal. Now I need to find transport for AZ. To OR. At a reasonable rate, any one know of any?
                            Can't help with transport recommend, have not used anyone for at least 15 years. I usually rent a car trailer from uhaul. You could find out what they would want to rent a truck/trailer combo. That way you could fly out and drive back. Of course, if the car is road worthy, you would not need it.

In any case, congratulations.
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...