Update from Stu Chapman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from Stu Chapman

I have just received my September issue of Turning Wheels in which The President's Message clearly indicates the immediate need for 6 new Chairpersons. Since this was obviously written before Peter Bishop found it necessary to step down, we now have a new President as well.

This current situation in part affects me. Since I have received some contacts asking if I am ok as I haven't posted for several months, I felt I should explain. Almost six months ago I found it necessary to resign my long-standing appointments as Elections Coordinator and Turning Wheels Arbiter, both for medical reasons. Specifically, I have been afflicted by age-related macular degeneration for some time and earlier this year my vision deterioration has severely affected vision capabilities on the computer. I also need to turn over responsibility for the 1964 Daytona Convertible Owner's Registry to someone else.

Having to step down from such active involvement with Studebaker was a tough decision to make, particularly after 68 years connection with the marque,but I will continue to be available whenever I can. Thanks everyone for your support and please keep in touch.

Stu Chapman

I am very sorry to hear of your Medical conditions Stu, you have been one of the "Guiding Lights" over many years for all of us!

We will ALL miss your involvement that has been a Huge help to all of us SDC Members, sharing your High Level History with Studebaker of Canada with us.

Come on you '64 Daytona Convertible Owners, someone step up to the Plate !
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Mr. Chapman, though we have never met personally, I feel I have come to know you and admire you through your book and this forum. I want to thank you for your decades of dedication and hours of honorable endeavor for our beloved marque. Your work will not be forgotten. Your place on the Mount Rushmore of the SDC is secure.

Please keep us posted as to your health so we can know how to best pray for you moving forward.

To everything there is a season, and time for every purpose under Heaven.

Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Good evening ,,sorry to here about your health...Stu,, I have been looking at the Daytona Registry I would be able to step up to the plate an continue if at all posable.iam here on this site 365 days a year. For the last 3 years I know it is a big under taken an I would look forward in helping out thanking you Raymond Wise.
        rawise

Comment

Hi Stu.

Thanks for the post and for updating us on your medical condition.

I'd like to report to you we have had an individual step up to be the Elections Coordinator . He will be assisting me in this years election cycle which was announced in September's Turning Wheels. All job descriptions and positions open for e;election are listed in that article. The new Coordinator will be announced in October's Turning Wheels which goes to press on Monday. We do have the Arbiter position open and for the present several of us are covering. It would be a tremendous help to the SDC if someone would consider taking on this responsibility for the club. If you are interested please feel free to contact President Denny Foust or myself.

Stu, you are in my thoughts and prayers and Diana and I wish you the best.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Stu I am sorry to hear about your medical situation. I remember after reading your first book talking for quite some time at the York Swap Meet. Back in my much younger days I participated in many Time Speed Rallies, thus lead to talking about the "factory" sponsored Studebaker rally cars in the Trans Canada Rally. I know I took up a lot of your time that day and have appreciated it for all this time. Thanks what you have done for the Studebaker community all these years.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

What's been said above, Stu; 'so sorry to hear of your conditions. You've certainly been an immense contributor here, what with your direct connection to Studebaker in its waning years. Prayers and best wishes always for you and Thelma. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dear Stu,
                Thank you for your update, as sad as it appears to be. You have been terrific in your position as THE Canadian representative giving your perspective of the Studebaker Corporation from the (our) Canadian side of the border. I will surely treasure your personally signed book now more than ever.
                Sonja and I are truly thankful we were able to spend an evening sharing dinner and drinks with you and Thelma in Tacoma. We will never forget the laughs and Studebaker camaraderie.
                All our best wishes for both you and Thelma,
                Bill & Sonja

Comment

Stu-
                  Sorry to hear about your problems with your eyesight. As a number of (older) people have said, old age is not for sissies. I am a few years younger than you, but am now encountering many of the same health challenges as you -- just a year or two later. Some of my happiest (and most productive) memories are from the days when I served as your vice president. Best wishes to you and Thelma, and stay well.
                  Skip
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Stu, I was looking so forward to meeting you at the Chattanooga meet this year, but alas, it wasn't to be. I know how your eyesight is being affected and I can only wish the very best for you. Be safe and keep your chin up. Thanks for so many years of service to this organization and of course the corporation before that. Best wishes, Bill Van Alstyne.

Comment

Stu, so sorry to read this but completely understand. I, too, have been dealing with macular degeneration for some time and have also had to severely limit computer time and disengage from my in-the-background SDC involvement. For a time, adding a 27” monitor helped but now I sometimes also need a handheld magnifying glass to read small print on the large screen. So, graphic design is one more thing “I used to do”.
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota
                      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Stu sorry to hear of your eyesight issues. On the other hand, getting old enough to have those age related issues is a good thing. I wish you all the best. SDC is a better club because of your efforts. Chin up.

Jim
                        james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
                          Good evening ,,sorry to here about your health...Stu,, I have been looking at the Daytona Registry I would be able to step up to the plate an continue if at all posable.iam here on this site 365 days a year. For the last 3 years I know it is a big under taken an I would look forward in helping out thanking you Raymond Wise.
                          I am pleased to advise that Raymond Wise will be taking over the management of the 1964 Daytona Convertible Owners' Registry effective September 14th 2020. It will probably take a week or so to bring it up to date and have the current listing recorded on the SDC web site. Thank you Ray for offering to take this on.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu, thank you for your many hours of dedication to the 1964 Daytona convertible registry. You made it a great success!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thank you Stu for The Privilege of the continuation of the 64 Daytona Convertible Registry .Raymond Wise.
                              rawise

Comment

Working...
                              X