Rough Draft on New Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Draft on New Gauges

These are the gauges that will cost me way too much. This isn't a final draft. The tach is perfect. The speedo needs to high beam indicator up high, not down low. The gauges are fine, but on the Woodward Series gauges, they're showing the numeric increments. I may do that...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TOM-ALLEN-DRAFT-1-090820.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1855267
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Those are really nice.

Comment

Yes, Real nice...

But...

Can you select another Font? Looks way to "Western."

I may be able to suggest a font closer to the Stude font..

Also I'd remove a few tick marks on the quad gauge on the fuel, volts and oil.. This way it matches the Temp gauge.

Remember that your original gauges were wired for "Amps" not "Volts.." A Slight wire modification will need to be made.

These new gauges also have L/R blinker, Stude's had single green annunciation on the bottom, and red high beam annunciation on top.

Comment

If you are getting new instruments made, why not get a trip odometer in the speedo? They are useful.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
          Yes, Real nice...

But... I'd remove a few tick marks on the quad gauge on the fuel, volts and oil.. This way it matches the Temp
          I agree, also straighten out the angle of the lines next to the letters on the multi gauge. Could also loose some of the marks on the speedo. It looks very busy next to the tach, maybe loose the four marks between every 5 mph and replace it with one mark between them. I agree trip ODO is a very nice thing to have too. I use them like a fuel gauge.

Myself, I've gone digital. Big illuminated numbers are WAY easier to read as my eyesight diminishes as I'm getting older.
          Last edited by bensherb; 09-08-2020, 10:04 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

These were never suppose to be exact copies. They guy overseeing the gauge had a Lark and ASSUMED I wanted an exact duplicate. Like I said, the tach is perfect. The other two will have slight changes. I sent a picture copy of the original gauges to give him a direction. He went all out. Yes, there will be some changes before everything is locked in.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

LOL, note to self, don't post gauges here, people will jump on and nitpick them like flies on a rib roast
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Not nitpicking them, sorry if that is way it sounded.

My first comment was "Real Nice!"

I've spent many hours resto dials and trying to find the "as close" to font as possible and was offering honest suggestions.

As seen on these tach faces.. Two bottom are my repos which are masked, not just from an injet printer. The numbers and text are pretty much dead on..

Also I really like the White face black numbers and making a full set of three gauges like I've made for the Speedo for my 64...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  LOL, note to self, don't post gauges here, people will jump on and nitpick them like flies on a rib roast
                  Bob and Sebastian, I take no offense from any of the comments. I will never lay claim that only I can have good ideas. I will say that I like what I like.

The response I got for my ideas though may not be feasible. If I move the high beam indicator to the top, the odometer goes with it. I may also lose the gauges being 'backlit'. Adding the numbers to the quad gauge may make the facing distorted and also cost me back lighting. I may just go the way they are.

These are what I'm starting with...

https://i.imgur.com/QICJoDH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uLJ67rK.jpg

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom, if those are going in your Daytona, you'll have to DOUBLE your Cost to Date!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here is a link to the Font file I use..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19fR...ew?usp=sharing

See if they can use it..

Comment

Personally, I think they look great.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

They look good to me too.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Yeah, the changes I wanted to make would have compromised what I was try to accomplish. I gave the go-ahead with the rough draft. When I do the Daytona, I'll probably try and get the tach color matched with the original color as used on '64-'66 gauges. On this car, I love the traditional white on black.
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                            X