• Show
Clear All

• The Common-Sense Car

Click image for larger version

Name:	479ACEDF-FBE3-4096-BDF8-F54631FC68C5.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1855045

That car wouldn't sell very well these days, too few persons have common sense!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Isn't THAT the Truth !
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Too many common sense cars coming from the Big Three. Studebaker just could not compete.

Comment

There's a 1965 Studebaker Command Sense radio jingle here..... 24:43 Cruisin' 1965
          https://youtu.be/lABypI-_oCs?t=1483
          I bought this album on cassette as a teen and was surprised the Stude commercial was on there.
          Pretty sure it's Hal Smith doing one of the voices

Comment

In Canada, the line, "Canada's Own Car" was used in place of "The Common-Sense Car".

Craig

Comment

The elimination of yearly styling updates was made a standard feature in 1966 so your investment and value is now protected forever!

Comment

It would be interesting to see the list of "30 extra value features."
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
                  The elimination of yearly styling updates was made a standard feature in 1966 so your investment and value is now protected forever!
                  Very true, as Studebaker did not make a styling update for 1967.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I do not think that "common-sense" sells. There were only 19,435 of these 1965s built.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think that in this case 'common sense' is a marketing department's spin on 'dowdy when compared to the competition- we don't waste your money on foolishness like attractive redesigns and segment leading chassis/powertrain improvements'.

"Progress is scary! We keep you safe from the future!" LOL
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I do not think that "common-sense" sells. There were only 19,435 of these 1965s built.
                        It didn't!

Bob Marcks, who is credited much for the 1966 design, related to us who attended the seminar at the International Meet in Glendale in 2010 stated that campaign, coupled with no visible styling changes, was one of Studebaker's marketing department's worst ideas ever. He had to convince management the 1966 models had to look 'different' and upgrade the interiors to appear more luxurious, which they did over previous models.

He designed post-1966 studies here:
                        https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ks-at-glendale

Craig

Comment

Seems to me, that back in the day, Volkswagen featured the fact that they only made changes to improve a car. They sure did not go out of business due to poor sales!.
                          Bob
                          Bob
                          Welland Ontario
                          60 Lark Convertible
                          64 Daytona
                          sigpic
                          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Today automakers keep the same styling for several years before a facelift, or a new generation. But, in the 1960's and prior buyers' expectation was that their new car would not look like last year's styling. That cost Studebaker, on lower production, relatively more than the big 3.

As to Volkswagen, they were an exception, not the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                              There's a 1965 Studebaker Command Sense radio jingle here..... 24:43 Cruisin' 1965
                              https://youtu.be/lABypI-_oCs?t=1483
                              I bought this album on cassette as a teen and was surprised the Stude commercial was on there.
                              Pretty sure it's Hal Smith doing one of the voices
                              I might have to snip a bit of that out and use it for the ring tone of my Studebaker friends...

Comment

Working...
                              X