Steering wheel repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel repair

Does anyone on here do steering wheel repairs or know of a good place? The steering wheel in my 51’ needs some attention.

Here you go... http://www.shrockbrothers.com/

I spent years patching up steering wheels with mixed success. For my Land Cruiser, I finally stepped up and got one from the Shrock Brothers. These guys will provide you with better than the original. Take care of your steering wheel because you will need to submit it to them. They use the core to build/restore steering wheels and require one in exchange.

Great guys and they do excellent work.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

They are not doing them any more, according to my latest information.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        They are not doing them any more, according to my latest information.
        I was not aware of that. It could be an opportunity for someone younger to fill the void. But, it will have to be a labor of love and certainly not a "get rich" endeavor.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Didn't the Shrocks sell their steering wheel restoration business to someone?
          --Dwight

Comment

I've used the two part, knead together putty, to fix a few old steering wheels. As jclary mentioned, usually mixed results. It works fairly well in the wider cracks, but hard to force into the small ones. The small cracks could be ground out a bit with a file or dremel tool so that they would accept the repair better. After repair, and sanding back to original shape, I painted mine with single stage urethane. Hopefully the Shrock Bros. have passed the business on to somebody that will keep the service available.

Comment

JB Weld and coated with epoxy paint makes a very durable repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                I’ve tried this before on a wheel for my 30 ford. It works okay but I’d prefer to have this one professionally restored.

Comment

These guys do top notch work for many years:

https://kochs.com/products/1960-1961-steering-wheel

Like above they need a core

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                    I agree, this is what I've used for decades. This is the steering wheel I made for my GT. The rim is from an original Stude wheel, that looked way worse than yours does. I cut the original spokes and replaced them with some I made from 3/16" stainless steel then used JB Weld to repair the gutta purcha rim; I then painted it and upholstered the grip area for that "sporty" look. The horn button is the original center from the Stude wheel.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1853830
                    sigpic

Comment

I have not tried it, but read an article about using bowling ball repair material. Then a good epoxy paint.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                      X