Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierce and Studebaker

https://www.gananoquereporter.com/op...f-75664de802cd

Well done article. Having been a PA owner and Pierce Arrow Society for forty three years, it's nice to see a factually correct article.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Bob.

I guess, like most, they no longer have proofreaders. "George Pierce told his company in 1907 and in 1908 " This should say; sold the company.

To me, the main error was in stating that Studebaker went bankrupt.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,

I understand your aversion to the word bankrupt, but really the term is only a shortened version of bankruptcy. There are several types of bankruptcy, Chapters-7,11 and 13, being most applicable, all of which overseen by a federal bankruptcy court. IMHO bankruptcy the process, gets confused with the insolvency, that ultimately, leads to dissolution. So bankrupt/bankruptcy is the process and not the end result.

Comment

I've often wondered if the fire truck company, Pierce was an offshoot of Pierce-Arrow, since it has an arrow like emblem on it, but I guess not.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Gary,

I understand your aversion to the word bankrupt, but really the term is only a shortened version of bankruptcy. There are several types of bankruptcy, Chapters-7,11 and 13, being most applicable, all of which overseen by a federal bankruptcy court. IMHO bankruptcy the process, gets confused with the insolvency, that ultimately, leads to dissolution. So bankrupt/bankruptcy is the process and not the end result.
            It is not an aversion to the word. My understanding is that Studebaker did not go through bankruptcy.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              It is not an aversion to the word. My understanding is that Studebaker did not go through bankruptcy.
              And also, the receivers were not 'forced' to sell P-A as per the text in the article. It was a sound business decision made by Vance and Hoffmann to raise capital, even though they sold it for less that the corporation paid for it.

Alan Mulally at Ford basically did the same thing 75 years later by selling Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors.

Craig

Comment

My father had a 1929 7 passenger Pierce that he paid $25 for in the mid 1950’s. He ended up selling it for $40 when my grandparents moved and he had no way to get it to Virginia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	82FCE85B-5CCA-4E8F-9B0F-D16419E5BDCC.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1854331
                Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
                X