Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Stevens

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/busin...7bad14dc2.html

Studebaker's C and K body designs owe more to Bob Bourke's late 1940s drawings than to Raymond Loewy's direct influence, but Loewy got the credit. I'm not knocking Loewy; he was a great designer, but so was Bourke.
    Last edited by Crowel, Mark; 09-04-2020, 04:39 AM.

Comment

And all this time I thought Bob Bourke had a little something to do with it.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Crowel, Mark View Post
        Studebaker's C and K body designs owe more to Brooks Steven's late 1940s drawings than to Raymond Loewy's direct influence, but Loewy got the credit. I'm not knocking Loewy; he was a great designer, but so was Stevens.
        What !!?? I would like to see the Stevens' drawings that you refer to.

Bob Bourke designed the 1953 Starliner (K body) while employed by Loewy at Studebaker. Stevens added the Thunderbird roof and made the other changes to create the 1962 - 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk (spelled incorrectly in the article) out of the original Bourke design.

Brooks Stevens was not even a member of Bourke's Styling Group for Loewy at Studebaker at the time the 1953 Starliner was designed.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have to eat my words! I confused Brooks Stevens with Bob Bourke. I went back and corrected my error.
          Last edited by Crowel, Mark; 09-04-2020, 04:41 AM.

Comment

One of the right and proper stylists and designers who is largely forgotten today. Any Studebaker owner, especially GT Hawk owners such as myself, would do well to take off their caps for him.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I suspect the Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer and Gladiator owners might raise a beer in honor of Mr. Stevens.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

The restyled 1962 Lark also was a Brooks Stevens design. Helped to sell almost 90K Larks that year!

Comment

Had it been produced, the Sceptre would have been his first true 'clean sheet' design for Studebaker; not just an attractive reworking of an existing design.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Had it been produced, the Sceptre would have been his first true 'clean sheet' design for Studebaker; not just an attractive reworking of an existing design.

Craig
                    I liked the Sceptre (right side) then and now. If it came out then, I would have bought one.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X