Ugly truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly truck

If you're not a fan of the off-roading supertruck niche, then this this custom 1949 Studebaker street sport pickup might just fit the bill.

They really used a Saginaw 4-speed trans in it?!
    --Dwight

Comment

Sanitary engine compartment, but wasn't the 383 a Mopar mill? That's what I had in my '71 Plymouth Fury.

Comment

383 is a 350 block with a stroker crank. The kits are readily available from Jegs, Speedway, etc.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Similar to what was done to the Stude 259 block to make the 289?

Comment

He writes a lot, posts a lot, and YouTubes a lot..

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sort of reminds me of the surprised expression those blow-up dolls have.

JT

Comment

I think that is a fairly well done truck. Some nice smooth lines there. I would take it.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

'ugly' is a little harsh. Other than the misplaced Studebaker badge under the grill opening (that needs a lot of help) this truck would look just fine sitting beside my other Studebaker. cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    'ugly' is a little harsh. Other than the misplaced Studebaker badge under the grill opening (that needs a lot of help) this truck would look just fine sitting beside my other Studebaker. cheers, junior
                    Well...I'm kinda on the fence between positive & negative on this one. I've never been very fond of the term "Rat Rod." For the most part, the majority of so-called rat rods I have seen are hacked up, slammed together pieces of crap. I don't mind old original paint clear coated to protect the "patina" of hard earned scars. But, poorly prepped/primed/cracking body filler, mechanical shortcuts, and safety hazards are nothing to be proud of. We've had this discussion before about epoxy primer not being able to hold up to exposure to UV rays (sunshine), and it looks that this is the case on this truck.

Also, the constricted opening of the grille might (or might not) cause a problem with cooling but it definitely does nothing to improve the looks of the design. As for as usefulness...eliminating the function of a true tailgate is just plain lazy, even if the vehicle is not intended to be used as a truck. Even if it does run, drive, and ride great (and I hope it does), I think I will always be happy that it belongs to someone besides me. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if on a high humidity day in the 90s as it is here today it has a difficult time running at normal temperature. (OK OK...so I think I fell off the fence to the negative side)
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm far from an expert on customs, but it seems to me that the concept of "Rat Rod," was a 90's push-back against the high cost of everything that had to go into a restoration. As I remember the concept it was a matter of taking stuff off the scrap heap, to be part of functional car. It seems to have morphed into a process of taking a complete vehicle, adding a few touches and leaving it looking rough as hell.

IMO this is a case of taking a good looking truck and trying to make it look ugly. This had to be the case, otherwise they never would have supplanted this front end for the original grill. If it was notoriety that they wanted, that's what they got.

Comment

I'd take off the low mounted front emblem and install some sort of bumpers and drive it. A real paint job might be in order one of these days.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I read all the comments first and was prepared to hate the truck. But I don't. It seems to present well and is well made. I'd take it.
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I'd like it if it had a Studebaker grill in it.
                            thom

Comment

Working...
                            X