Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here we go....

Got a nibble on the car: :::::

Buyer: Hello there! what's your final asking price for the car if still available? Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.
    Kennedy

Me: Yes, car is available. The asking price is $$$$. I’m in the process of remediating the transmission drip, which may take a week or so. It isn’’t as bad as it sounds, just a few gaskets. The underside of the car is very clean. I would certainly prefer you come and look at it. I’ve added a few more pics on the website. If you need any specific information, let me know..
    thanks

Buyer: Glad to hear it's still available..How about I pay $$$$$? I would love to come take a look but don't live close.
    Thanks.

Me: Where are you located? Isn’t there anyone close that can look it over. I cannot abide by, anyone buying a car and not having it looked at...

Buyer: Sure I'll have someone to come look at it when they come to pick it up..I live in Nevada

So, this sounds just a little bit odd, but how far should I take this thing.. Anyone know someone with an email address of dynaservkennedy@......

thks

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I have bought many cars in absentia, what's wrong with that?

Let me give you some perspective as a buyer:

First thing is, I never understand why some people will not simply post an asking price. I makes no sense to make the customer have to ask for it. I am looking to buy cars every day; there are so many that if there's no asking price to let me know if they are in the ballpark, I just scroll on to the next one.

Second, it is not always possible- or practical- to travel a long distance to see a car, particularly in the lower price ranges. Part of what I do is in-person inspections for clients. Sometimes it involves paying big money for an immediate flight, sometimes I can drive there. But either way it is worth the cost with 5 and 6 figure cars, and gives the buyer peace of mind. But in most cases, it's not practical to add that expense for, say, a sub-$10K vehicle. So, it makes sense to try negotiating. But therein lies the conundrum- how does one tell if it's a serious buyer or a lowballer/keyboard jockey? In my case I will ask for info/photos and if they are supplied properly, I will make an honest offer, along with concrete transaction terms. Usually I pick it up in person and pay cash on the spot when possible. If a seller balks at any of that, it's on to the next one.

Third- I understand that if I am not buying in person I am taking a gamble. Most people are good, and there's not a major problem. But, I weigh that risk against the time/expense to see it in person and decide whether to buy or not. Your buyer has likely done the same. In the end it's all about the money: don't make any fund exchange with which you aren't 100% comfortable. The legit buyer will understand. The most recent higher-amount purchase I bought, the seller would not accept anything but cash. So, I took the cash and my trailer, drove 6 hours one way, counted it out, and loaded the car. But most understand how wire transfers work, and are fine with that. This elderly gentleman was not. Similar to the irrational fear some have of Facebook, by far my best source for both buying and selling.

You always run the risk of dealing with a flake or a scammer. That's just part of life. For me, I always give the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to do otherwise. If not, I simply shut down the deal; whether I am the buyer or the seller. It's mostly all common sense.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Next thing he will tell you is that the person coming to pick it up will bring a check...........and oh, by the way, the check will be for the purchase price of the car plus the transport cost, so if you would pay the transporter cash for his part, all will be good.
      Last edited by r1lark; 08-23-2020, 12:43 PM.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Sounds very suspicious.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

I want to add about the old 'what's your lowest price' approach.

It's a tough one. There is no concrete formula for this. As a seller I do it completely by feel: I usually build in a little negotiating room, so I might throw a little discount to start the negotiations. If somebody is legit they will make a rational counter. Usually you find out then. Sometimes I use my smartass response of 'what's the highest you'll pay?' It's not an exact science, for sure... but it is up to the seller to give the benefit of the doubt; even if it means you sometimes get your time wasted. It's part of the process.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Next thing he will tell you is that the person coming to pick it up will bring a check...........and oh, by the way, the check will be for the purchase price of the car plus the transport cost, so if would pay the transporter cash for his part, all will be good.
            You took the words out of my mouth. Had the same pitch on a travel trailer I was selling. Wanted to send me a "cashiers check" (one of the easiest instruments to fake) for $1000.00 more than I was asking and all I had to do was give the pickup man that much in cash so he could rent a truck to take the trailer away. Of course I would never see him or the money again.

Comment

Perhaps you would feel more at ease if you would speak to the potential buyer on the telephone. Have a conversation for a few minutes to get a feel for the person. Also, you could do a background check.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I only sell to people who comes & look & test the car, & if they wanna hagle about the price it's done after he's seen & driven the car.
                & ofcourse cash is king.
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                  You took the words out of my mouth. Had the same pitch on a travel trailer I was selling. Wanted to send me a "cashiers check" (one of the easiest instruments to fake) for $1000.00 more than I was asking and all I had to do was give the pickup man that much in cash so he could rent a truck to take the trailer away. Of course I would never see him or the money again.
                  For true. For many years now, it's very difficult to rent a vehicle or even a hotel room with cash. Most rental companies will be very suspicious of anyone wanting to pay in cash instead of a credit card. I have a troglodyte friend who hates credit cards, but is forced to maintain one for the limited travel he does.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    Next thing he will tell you is that the person coming to pick it up will bring a check...........and oh, by the way, the check will be for the purchase price of the car plus the transport cost, so if you would pay the transporter cash for his part, all will be good.
                    Yep this is what I think will happen also. If it does its a SCAM
                    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

I have purchased MANY cars sight unseen. These are cars that are under $20K (Studebakers and others). Sometimes the cars are worse than expected and sometimes not. I just figure the cost in dollars and time to travel to look at cars is not worth it.
                      I did have one fairly recently where I made the deal and arranged for a transport company. The seller then decided that he would only take cash. I cancelled the transporter and took a friend to drive my car back and cash. When I got there, the deal fell through. It turned out to be a day of travel and expense to visit with my friend (could have done that here).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                        Got a nibble on the car: :::::

Buyer: Hello there! what's your final asking price for the car if still available? Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.
                        Kennedy

Me: Yes, car is available. The asking price is $$$$. I’m in the process of remediating the transmission drip, which may take a week or so. It isn’’t as bad as it sounds, just a few gaskets. The underside of the car is very clean. I would certainly prefer you come and look at it. I’ve added a few more pics on the website. If you need any specific information, let me know..
                        thanks

Buyer: Glad to hear it's still available..How about I pay $$$$$? I would love to come take a look but don't live close.
                        Thanks.

Me: Where are you located? Isn’t there anyone close that can look it over. I cannot abide by, anyone buying a car and not having it looked at...

Buyer: Sure I'll have someone to come look at it when they come to pick it up..I live in Nevada

So, this sounds just a little bit odd, but how far should I take this thing.. Anyone know someone with an email address of dynaservkennedy@......

thks

string him along as long as you want, it is a scam it can be fun watching him make things up, have him send you the check it will not be good but after you get it the fun gets better, I have done that a few times and have bogus checks to prove it, just hang them on the wall to remind you that they are out there doing what ever they can to screw the public.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Yeah, this might be fun to watch, although I haven't heard back form him / thanks
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Tell him to send the check but you want to wait for it to clear and you will never hear from that person again.

Someone who truly has good intentions and wants the car will comply or get cash so he doesn't have to wait
                            Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Be very suspicious about this "buyer." I'm in the process of selling a sailboat and have also sold sailboats, professionally. Similar responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X