Not your average Studebaker post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lark55 View Post
    When I was in high school, my dad told me I could have his 48 Jeep station wagon if I wanted it. It had already had a Champion six and then a 232 V8 swapped in previously. I used my savings from my summer job and found a 259 4 barrel engine for it. This was my first real mechanical experience but I got the 259 installed and running. It served as my high school transportation. I think the Stude V8 bolted up to the Jeep transmission but I may be mistaken about this. I do remember that they had to add an extra leaf spring in the front suspension because of the weight of the 232. It was a lot of fun but it was definitely nose heavy.
    That sounds like an awesome experience. I got the family mercury sable when I was in high school, lol.

Comment

Your Jeep's floorboards look a lot like mine. Cool Jeep! I bought my kids a Mercury Sable wagon to drive in high school. They named it the "shagging wagon" and it lasted through 2 teen drivers and 6 years and was running when I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
        Your Jeep's floorboards look a lot like mine. Cool Jeep! I bought my kids a Mercury Sable wagon to drive in high school. They named it the "shagging wagon" and it lasted through 2 teen drivers and 6 years and was running when I sold it.
        Those floorboards are gonna take some work! I think I might hit them with a wire brush here in the next couple days. Not really sure how to deal with the rust.

I have to agree on the Sable. It did last me 2 years in high school and 2 years of traveling/partying and I sold it running as well. It wasn't a bad car at all. Ugly? Sure. But was a good car overall. They way I acquired it made me angry at the time (another story for another time) but it was a reliable car, for sure.

Comment

J. C. Whitney and many other places will have new floors for an old Jeep.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Neesh,

You mentioned how that 259 fired right up, and the way it sounded. In 1989, I had a '56 President Classic with the 289. When I bought the car, it had been sitting for six years, but after pouring gas down its throat and hot wiring the ignition, it fired up and ran. It had that steady, rhythmic "burble, burble, burble, burble" that a Studebaker V-8 has when it idles.

Comment

Working...
            X