Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really nice article from Hot Rod about The Stude Tomato and R powered cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really nice article from Hot Rod about The Stude Tomato and R powered cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1963...ark-superhero/

This has probably been shared before but if so, I missed it.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

'Nice to see that again, Don; thanks.

Writer Tom Shaw was a dear friend and is missed by everyone at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. Tom was involved in a serious automobile accident on October 22, 2016. A month later, on November 23, he succumbed to complications from injuries sustained in that accident.

See Pages 16 and 17 of the January 2018 Turning Wheels for the particulars on how Tom was remembered at The 2017 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race the following year. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you for posting.an osame read.
      rawise

Comment

A great read. Thanks for posting it.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

What issue of Hot Rod was this in? I can't get the pictures in the last part posted.- Jim

Comment

The article is dated Jan 16,2014
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
              What issue of Hot Rod was this in? I can't get the pictures in the last part posted.- Jim
              Jim, this article didn't appear in Hot Rod magazine...although it well should have, in my never-so-humble opinion!

Rather, it appeared in Muscle Car Review, which I believe was owned by the same publishing group [TEN: The Enthusiast Network] at the time. I'm sorry I can't place the exact issue; it's around here somewhere. It would have been within a couple years of when Tom Shaw passed away; it was one of his last major articles.

I just noticed a small error in the article for the first time! The car specs say the wheels have a 4" bolt circle diameter. As we know, it is 4 1/2" BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Additions to Post #7, above:

That article appeared in the January 2014 issue of Muscle Car Review.

In my opinion, it is the most accurate, comprehensive article on R-engined Studebakers ever published in a magazine outside of Turning Wheels. Tom Shaw worked extensively with me and George Krem to insure its accuracy; we went back-and-forth at least a dozen times as he wrote the article and submitted drafts to us for approval. However, the words are Tom's, not ours: Tom was what you'd today call anal about accuracy, more so than any automotive writer I've known other than Dick Quinn and Fred Fox. It is so sad Tom Shaw perished as he did.

The final Muscle Car Review article is seven pages long, all in color. It includes 24 excellent color photographs and 2 charts.

I see where the magazine's owner at the time was Source Interlink Media, which I think was either acquired by or morphed into The Enthusiast Network. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

It was a great read, plus all the sidebar articles on the different R-series engines: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....eview-magazine

Craig

Comment

Thanks Bob! That gives me something else to look for if we ever start having swap meets again. Also the PBR one from May '99-Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X