Do you ever buy car radios on eBay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever buy car radios on eBay?

I look at the Studebaker radios on eBay almost every day.

It is amazing to me how the majority of them are misidentified. When I try to correct the seller, they either say "someone told me that" or there is some junkyard writing on it that is wrong because the junkyard guy didn't know what he was looking at.

Although to be fair, I mounted a major research project some 30 years ago to identify every model and variation. That means I know what most of them are and what they fit.

If anyone is thinking about buying a Studebaker radio on eBay and is not sure if it is the correct one or not, send me an email, not a PM, with the auction number and what kind/year/model your car is, and I will look at the auction for you.

NOTE: I am not offering to say whether the eBay radio is good or not, and am not guaranteeing anything whatsoever. So if you buy one and it is a piece of crap, don't blame me.

I am merely offering to let you know if the radio you are looking at is correct for your car.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Very nice gesture, Thanks Roy.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

Comment

Has there ever been an article in 'Turning Wheels' about every type/model of radio that Studebaker had available over the years? If not, it would be a nice thing to have as a reference guide. Aside from that, it is very nice of Roy to volunteer his knowledge. By the way Roy, what are the variety of services you offer for radios? For example, do you offer FM conversions for AM radios?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Has there ever been an article in 'Turning Wheels' about every type/model of radio that Studebaker had available over the years? By the way Roy, what are the variety of services you offer for radios? For example, do you offer FM conversions for AM radios?
          Never saw an article like that. I considered doing an article when Linda Fox was Turning Wheels editor, but that was 30 years ago.

FM conversions are exactly what I offer. I am a dealer for the Aurora Design systems.

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Home.html
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I don't know if it's your ad for restored radio's in TW but with services like that why would anyone enter a crap shoot on Ebay. I have a truck which has never had a radio or I would have availed myself of the services of technicians like yourselves.

Comment

Has there ever been an article in 'Turning Wheels' about every type/model of radio that Studebaker had available over the years?
              There was an article in Turning Wheels if there were any 1966 (black knobs & pushbutton) AM/FM radios made. It was from 1975 or so.

Craig

Comment

There actually was a black button AM/FM made for 66 models.

I either have or had one at one time.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-17-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I have a small collection of Studebaker radios that I have acquired over time. Some from eBay and others from swap meets. Most are for the 50, 51 cars, and some that can be used in C-Cab trucks with the correct installation kit, bezels, and knobs. I purchased the dash plate for my '55 truck and had planned to install a radio. But, I didn't want to cut the opening in the dash to put the kit in. So, instead, I have an aftermarket Motorola radio with Studebaker knobs hanging under the dash. That one, I can remove with a couple of screws and no one would know it had ever been there.

Most of mine were bought at CASO prices, so you know they need work. Someday... (anyone else ever use that phrase???)...I might relent and send a radio out to Roy for making it functional and enjoyable.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 53 pilgrim View Post
                    I don't know if it's your ad for restored radio's in TW but with services like that why would anyone enter a crap shoot on Ebay. I have a truck which has never had a radio or I would have availed myself of the services of technicians like yourselves.
                    That is Dan Skidmore. Dan offers restored original technology radios and has been doing so for many years, bless his heart.

Although I sometimes repair original technology radios, 1957 and older, I have taken a different path and prefer to modify radios with modern technology. They look the same from the driver's perspective, but sound better, have more features and hopefully will last longer.

Some folks who have no radio at all, want a core radio that can be converted to AM/FM with all the bells and whistles. Like hot-rodding a C/K without the gaudy paint jobs, wild interiors, or gansta wheels.

It's getting tougher to restore the original technology as many of the parts are NLA and have not aged gracefully over the decades. I.F. transformers come to mind. The built in mica capacitors creep and short out and sometimes the coils open.

Probably more info than you wanted.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-17-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Roy, do you have restored/modified Studebaker radios on the shelf ready for resale, or does a customer need to send you a Studebaker radio to be restored/modified?
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Roy, do you have restored/modified Studebaker radios on the shelf ready for resale, or does a customer need to send you a Studebaker radio to be restored/modified?
                        It's not economical to stock rebuilt radios. I usually upgrade customer radios and occasionally pull a radio from my stash and rebuild that for a customer. I am currently doing that for two radio customers.

The bulk of my radios are parts radios only, although there are a few that look good enough to sell.

Comment

One of the biggest problems with car radios is radio. Meaning the crap that is passed off as programming these days.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                            One of the biggest problems with car radios is radio. Meaning the crap that is passed off as programming these days.
                            We have two stations that I like here. One, on AM has no commercials and plays mostly '50s-'60s. They were off the air for one week during the recent major power outage. They have been off the air a couple of times since, like right now. The other is an FM station that plays mostly oldies and has commercials.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              We have two stations that I like here. One, on AM has no commercials and plays mostly '50s-'60s.
                              That would be nice if that were the case here. Unfortunately, AM radio around here is either all-news/all-talk, religious, and the odd country music station.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X