X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Roy,

You are right. I think it is 58-61 radios that will interchange, although I had heard that the 58 was one year only. This was the topic of discussion at our breakfast this morning. Bruce Sandburg mentioned he may have a couple of 56-7 core radios and is going to check how the glass dial plate is. Fingers crossed.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    How about vinyl stick on computer graphics? Have them printed backwards and then stick them on the backside of the glass...

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Nope. Not true.
    Okay, good to know! (Hence the question mark in my sentence.)

Craig

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    and then 59-66 models all interchange.

Bob Miles
    Nope. Not true

Just the facts, please. ‚Äč
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    I believe '56-'58's are also etched from behind the glass?

Craig[/B]
    Nope. Not true

Just the facts, please.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Craig,

I am not sure if they were etched or not. I had contacted Roy about the glass face. Brent Hagan had made a silk screen for the 56 (J) models but is no longer doing that. Roy used the last one recently. Roy said all of the 56-57 Radio have had the numbers just fall off.

There is a place that does silk screen work here. I would be willing to take the radio out I just don't have a pattern for the numbers on the dial. I just tune it as I know most the oldies AM Jazz and Country. There is also a sport AM channel. So it looks like the 56-57 radio is distinct. The 55 is 6 volt, 58 changed and then 59-66 models all interchange. As someone said (JClary?) this is what we get for liking the cars we do.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Would I have to put some type of etching stuff on the glass before I paint it?
    I know on the '55's, the glass is etched from the backside, and I was able spray a coat of ivory paint on the backside of the glass, and when it got tacky after a few minutes, scraped the paint on the flat smooth surface away with a razor blade. The ivory paint remained in the recessed numerals and Conelrad symbols.

I believe '56-'58's are also etched from behind the glass? (I'm aware 1955 & earlier are Philco radios, and later car radios are Delco.)

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Currently there is a 56 push button Sedan Radio on Ebay for $299.00. My non push radio works but all the numbers have dropped off. I already talked to Roy about this, they are NLA. Having time to think around ways to fix things, I thought about painting the numbers on the outside of the face plate and leave the radio still working in the car. Only thing is I don't have a picture of the radio face plate.

Do you think it is possible to do that? After painting I would put some type of protective plastic over the plate. Since the car is a driver and will never be shown at a SDC meet it just matters to me. Would I have to put some type of etching stuff on the glass before I paint it?

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    We have two stations that I like here. One, on AM has no commercials and plays mostly '50s-'60s.
    That would be nice if that were the case here. Unfortunately, AM radio around here is either all-news/all-talk, religious, and the odd country music station.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    One of the biggest problems with car radios is radio. Meaning the crap that is passed off as programming these days.
    We have two stations that I like here. One, on AM has no commercials and plays mostly '50s-'60s. They were off the air for one week during the recent major power outage. They have been off the air a couple of times since, like right now. The other is an FM station that plays mostly oldies and has commercials.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    One of the biggest problems with car radios is radio. Meaning the crap that is passed off as programming these days.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    Roy, do you have restored/modified Studebaker radios on the shelf ready for resale, or does a customer need to send you a Studebaker radio to be restored/modified?
    It's not economical to stock rebuilt radios. I usually upgrade customer radios and occasionally pull a radio from my stash and rebuild that for a customer. I am currently doing that for two radio customers.

The bulk of my radios are parts radios only, although there are a few that look good enough to sell.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Roy, do you have restored/modified Studebaker radios on the shelf ready for resale, or does a customer need to send you a Studebaker radio to be restored/modified?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 53 pilgrim View Post
    I don't know if it's your ad for restored radio's in TW but with services like that why would anyone enter a crap shoot on Ebay. I have a truck which has never had a radio or I would have availed myself of the services of technicians like yourselves.
    That is Dan Skidmore. Dan offers restored original technology radios and has been doing so for many years, bless his heart.

Although I sometimes repair original technology radios, 1957 and older, I have taken a different path and prefer to modify radios with modern technology. They look the same from the driver's perspective, but sound better, have more features and hopefully will last longer.

Some folks who have no radio at all, want a core radio that can be converted to AM/FM with all the bells and whistles. Like hot-rodding a C/K without the gaudy paint jobs, wild interiors, or gansta wheels.

It's getting tougher to restore the original technology as many of the parts are NLA and have not aged gracefully over the decades. I.F. transformers come to mind. The built in mica capacitors creep and short out and sometimes the coils open.

Probably more info than you wanted.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-17-2020, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I have a small collection of Studebaker radios that I have acquired over time. Some from eBay and others from swap meets. Most are for the 50, 51 cars, and some that can be used in C-Cab trucks with the correct installation kit, bezels, and knobs. I purchased the dash plate for my '55 truck and had planned to install a radio. But, I didn't want to cut the opening in the dash to put the kit in. So, instead, I have an aftermarket Motorola radio with Studebaker knobs hanging under the dash. That one, I can remove with a couple of screws and no one would know it had ever been there.

Most of mine were bought at CASO prices, so you know they need work. Someday... (anyone else ever use that phrase???)...I might relent and send a radio out to Roy for making it functional and enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X